Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,127   Online: 983

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Looks like a great trip Tom, I can't make it this time but look forward to joining you on the next one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bay Area photographers are spread up and down both sides of the Bay, from Mill Valley (and north to Mendicino). I have lived off and on in S.F., since the late 60's, and the City is a heaven for MF and LF Film Photographers. There is a Photographers group that meets in Golden Gate Park, a group of former Combat Photographers who meet monthly (most of them still shoot for fun), the A. Adams Gallery hosts meeting, and the list goes on... A. Gasser's photographer's supply is alive and well on 2nd St. (south of Mission St.), The Photograpehr's Workshop on Folsom just around the corner from Gasser's. Some of the Pro Labs used to host meeting also.
    For the pro's on tight schedules, getting to meetings is hard. I had to retire, before I started thinking about joining a group (internet helps in this respect).
    I have been a working photographer in "film" for more than 40 years, and now live in Northern California, north of S.F., closer to the Redwoods and Coast I want to take photos off. I have worked in everything from 16mm to 8x10. I now use M/F 6x9 and 6x6 systems (they are smaller and lighter to carry around.
    All you have to do is walk around San Francisco, and you will see photo galleries here and there (South of Market, the "Barbary Coast" area north of the Financial dist. as well as working studios.
    In the City, life just goes on, I used to like watching people going about their business and occasionally get it on film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just checking in with everybody - I was the OP on this thread, over a year ago. I have mostly completed my move, although my darkroom is still in Maine - and I am not sure when that will be moved and I manage to build a new darkroom out here. I have been living in downtown San Jose for 6 months now, and am making use of a rental darkroom (darkroom at debug). I have put my LF gear away for the time being, and am concentrating on small formats.

All of the comments that flooded in from the original post were great, it really helped me to understand better what the local scene is, and that is something that I am sure will continue to evolve as I settle in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Mark, Welcome to Silicon Valley.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been here just short of eleven years, I still don't know what the scene is! 8-)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I so want to be back there again, but that's going to probably have to be a retirement dream.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mark, I have a feeling your LF won't stay packed for long. Before or after your next trip to Yosemite or Carmel it will again see the light of day.

TFC, I don't know anyone that has moved back to California to retire. Most move away to Las Vegas, Mexico, or Oregon. The taxes alone will eat your fixed income alive.

grahamp, you live in Richmond? Did I almost bike into you on the Bay Trail?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Iwagoshi - although taxes are high in California, my overall taxes went down when I moved from Maine to CA. Maine taxes are even higher. This includes income taxes, car registrations and property taxes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post

grahamp, you live in Richmond? Did I almost bike into you on the Bay Trail?
    Yes (McBryde), and no, I haven't been near the trail recently. Though I am supposed to dig out the Brompton and go for a ride with my brother in law soon. Lots of house issues at the moment. I did build a 5x4 pinhole camera recently for use next week.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Just checking in with everybody - I was the OP on this thread, over a year ago. I have mostly completed my move, although my darkroom is still in Maine - and I am not sure when that will be moved and I manage to build a new darkroom out here. I have been living in downtown San Jose for 6 months now, and am making use of a rental darkroom (darkroom at debug). I have put my LF gear away for the time being, and am concentrating on small formats.

All of the comments that flooded in from the original post were great, it really helped me to understand better what the local scene is, and that is something that I am sure will continue to evolve as I settle in.
    Downtown SJ? I just moved from 12th street to Sunnyvale. It's a nice place to live (san jose that is).

It's also a nice place to photograph.

tim in Sunnyvale
    Where ever you are, there you be.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin