Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,047   Online: 982

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was toying with the whole idea of the "Nostalgia Tour 09" and checking off locations like Oceano, Point Lobos etc that have a strong photographic resonance but I believe some of these places ain't like they used to be?
    Big Sur, Point Lobos to San Francisco is excellent, what I like is how little Point Lobos was allowed to change, only nature works there. Yosemite would be great if you can get there or in and around San Francisco and even north to the Redwoods. Too little time and too much to do, isn't it always that way? California is like an entire country.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    ... don't start the pedant in me! it should be "...we yanks are correct"
    But remember, they drive on the wrong side of the road over there!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a fun trip, Tony.
    I'll be rooting for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    This would seem to me to be the age-old problem of taking a short trip to a place that requires much more time to see. Do you treat the trip as a scouting trip or do you spend quality time in just one place. Since you have already been to Califorina, you may have already scouted the place and know where you want to return to, but weather may not allow that. When presented with this problem, I've always tended to make it up as I went along. One thing I like about the western states, is that the places YOU find most interesting just seem to pop up almost at random as you travel around. For me, some of these places aren't even in the guidebooks and I would never have found them unless I just happened upon them.

If you end up doing the coast route, LA gets a bad rap but in my opinion has some nice places to visit. If you drive through there and have time you might drop by The Getty and the Huntington Library.

Have fun, we would all like to be with you.

Denis K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denis - good points there. I like to take the back roads and be surprised, leaving enough time in the travel schedule to stop and look around. In a large city I prefer to have company but on the road with a camera I'm quite satisfied on my own.
    Thanks for the ideas and links so far. At this stage I'm leaning towards heading back to the coast and spending a few consecutive nights in the Carmel area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin