Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,289   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Driving from LA to SFO - any tips?

Hi Californians,
    I am travelling from Sydney to New York on business in early November and have tacked on some vacation and have 7 nights to plan. The first two are booked at Joshua Tree. I'm still tossing up how to spend the next 5 days getting to SFO; whether to stay inland and see more NPs or head back to the coast and wind up through Big Sur and Carmel. One thing I'm not sure of is the early November weather/accessibility in areas like Kings Canyon, Sequoia etc. I imagine Yosemite might be a gamble in a small hire car at that time? (18 years ago I visited Yosemite, Monument Valley, Death Valley and Grand Canyon albeit not with my serious photography head on)

Appreciate any and all thoughts you might have. I realise it is a lot of potential territory to cover. I was toying with the whole idea of the "Nostalgia Tour 09" and checking off locations like Oceano, Point Lobos etc that have a strong photographic resonance but I believe some of these places aint like they used to be?

Thanks
    Tony

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    IF the weather holds, the trek up 395 on the east side of the Sierra is wonderful. The challenge would be getting back over the mountains if there is snow. You'd have to keep going on up to Tahoe and come through Truckee Pass if Tioga and Sonora passes are closed. Still on the west side of the mountains, there are plenty of interesting spots worth taking a peek at, including Pinnacles national monument (http://www.npca.org/parks/pinnacles-...-monument.html).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tony,

You have listed all the high spots. After Joshua Tree NP, see what the weather is like and then decide.

For hourly conditions: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly
    By road number: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/hi.htm

Kings Canyon closes the eastern part around then so check: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/pvfall.htm

Look at the California state parks: http://calparks.org/recreationHQ/

Yosemite can book up early so if you want to go there then you need to book ahead. If Tioga pass is closed, then do not go up 395 because to get to Yosemite would require you to go to Tahoe first and then drive back south.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    ... but I believe some of these places aint like they used to be?

Thanks
    Tony

Very true. But they are probably better now than they will be in the future. All other things equal, you may want to focus on the less protected areas first.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Hi Californians,
    I imagine Yosemite might be a gamble in a small hire car at that time?
    Tony
    I've always wondered how this got started but in the US we 'hire' people and 'rent' things; thus "... in a small rental car ...".

... and by the way, in this case I think us yanks have it correct.

Denis K

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yosemite will probably be fine -- the only problem is an early storm and a requirement to have tire (snow) chains in the car.

So I would suggest having two sets of travel plans -- good weather hit the west side of the Sierras, and if the winter sets in early in the mountains, then hit the coast instead.

But if you go from Joshua Tree towards the west side Sierras, you might consider highway 58 through Tehachapi to Bakersfield. Right before Tehachapi there is a big cement works ("plant" for Denis) that might be fun to photograph from the side road that goes by it. Easily seen from the highway, just double back on the side road at the next highway exit.

Have a great trip, Tony! Too bad you don't have the time to head up here in far northern California and the Redwoods. My wife is an Aussie and it would have been fun to meet you.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis K View Post
    I've always wondered how this got started but in the US we 'hire' people and 'rent' things; thus "... in a small rental car ...".

... and by the way, in this case I think us yanks have it correct.

Denis K
    ... don't start the pedant in me! it should be "...we yanks are correct"
    Both words work here and are interchanged. 'Rental' mainly for the type you pick up at airports and 'hire' for weddings, graduations etc. which come with a driver so I concede the point

Language differences can be fun and frustrating. I lived in the US for a few years and can translate pretty well on the fly. On my first visit 25 years ago I was in a diner and asked for extra serviettes (napkins) for the table. The waitress was very perplexed. We figured out later she thought I were saying soviets and was being asked to bring some more Russians to the table!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Vaughn - I noticed I am one week too early for the Jim Galli workshop in Tonopah which would have been a good coincidence if my business meeting wasn't on that week. 18 years ago we spent a night in Tonopah. My young kids at the time were fascinated by the slot machines and guns and ammo in the supermarket!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Tony -- my three boys are growing up bi-lingual...they speak both American and Australian -- and we are adding some Spanish to that. My wife has a degree in Nursing and in Spanish. Spanish with an Aussie accent is pretty funny (or so I have been told -- in Spanish, I am limited to asking for a beer and ask where the bathroom is.)
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tony:

You HAVE to go to Hurst Castle....

http://www.hearstcastle.com/

A GREAT place to take photographs.

Thanks

Scott
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin