Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,835   Online: 1137

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I went to Colorado last year, my Tamrac expedition 7 weighed 29 lbs (according to the airport scale - I didn't check it but was curious). When the time came to hike Longs Peak, it all stayed back in the hotel and all that came along was a Canon S2 (d*****l 10x zoom P&S). And even that felt like too much at times.

My opinion, take just the A-1 and 35-105 and leave the rest behind. If your A-1 has a motor drive on it (as mine does) take it off and leave that behind too. If you get the strong urge to shoot B&W, unwind the color roll carefully, being sure to leave the tab out, shoot your B&W and reload the color, sacrificing a frame or two to prevent overlap. Repeat as necessary.

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've not been up Mt Whitney (!) but I often bacpack in mountains and wild country with camera gear. My advice is, be ruthless. Think what you absolutely need to get by, rather than what would be nice to have.

Think carefully about clothes - ideally use lightweight outdoor stuff that you can wash and dry easily - and take just one change. Same goes for food and cooking gear - can you get by with a small number of utensils? Can you use lots of dry food to rehydrate, or even food you don't need to heat? Think dried fruit, flapjacks. And remember water - it's often a killer in terms of weight. It's dead important too, so that means you need to save weight ewlsewhere as much as possible.

Gear-wise, be selective. I use a Pentax 67II kit with x5 lenses for much of my landscape work. I also use a Fotoman 617II. But if I'm on a backpacking / mountain trip I use my much lighter and compact Fuji GA645zi and a much much lighter tripod than normal. I stabilise this with a long climbing sling which I loop round the tripod and then stand on for extra rigidity. When backpacking, everything is a weight trade-off...!

Your legs and back will thank you for being ruthless, and you will have a much more enjoyable trip if you're not constantly fighting your kit. And I'd advise a bit of training too.

Have fun - post some of your photos from the trip to the APUG gallery.

Hope this helps,
    Gavin

PS- You might find the APUG 'Hiking and Trekking' group interesting?
    Last edited by coigach; 06-06-2010 at 09:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replys!

It sounds as though most of you have been carrying the camera body on your person instead of in your pack? I wasn't sure if that would become a hassle or not. I do wish I had a smaller set of camera gear to go with, but the Canon's are all I have at the moment.

Vaughn - I live in Rocklin (Sacramento area) and have been trying to head to the Sierra's as often as possible. We have done Yosemite Falls and Nevada Falls, though not very high. I will be trying to get out to Half Dome soon. I went up to try the Sierra Butte's Lookout this weekend and it was still snowed in. I am by far the most out of shape and been kicking my own a$$ to get ready!

Wy2l - We do not have permits yet, and I see that August is now full, which was when we were planning to go. Our company has laid off so many people, we are all back-ups for one another and its been hard to coordinate time off for this and work around everyone's personal schedule.

Gavin - I joined the Hiking and Trekking group, didn't even now there was one. I'm still trying to find my way around this website. When I first started thinking about this, I was going to take a cast iron pan! HA!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If the camera is in the pack or on me depends on my camera. When i was hiking with a slr I had it packed into one of those smallish camera bags and that was in front of me. My 4x5 (which i do backpack with) stays in the pack unless I am using it.

I say just bring the 50mm and your cannon ae-1 w/o any accessories (definitely no tripod). Weight wise its the right idea. I tell my self that if I can't make an image with a 50 n' body then its not worth taking. I'm here for the hiking, friendship, and views. I know if I want a stunning image I need to work it, experiment, and possibly revisit it multiple times. You just don't have time for that when your hiking. Save your self the frustration and oz's, and take the bare minimum.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    akaa,

Reading other posts and thinking of my own advise, taking just one camera body and the zoom lens probably would be better than the advise I gave earlier. Sort of depends on one's purpose for the hike. If one's own pupose is to photograph, than the two camera bodies make sense (especially in case one body fails during the adventure.) Then one would cut everything else down to the bare minumum. But if the experience itself is the main purpose, then one camera body would be sufficient (plus a small P&S digital camera as the back-up?)

On my 11-day treks into the Grand Canyon I did not even take a stove -- thus no hot food/drinks for 11 days! No room for the stove! Photography was one of the main reasons I was in the Canyon. Just wish I could say they were photographically successful! The NZ trip was (but successfully) the same way -- I went to photograph with the 4x5 -- cycling was just they way I decided would be the best way to travel.

A cast iron pan!LOL! Reminds me of all the gear that is left at the bottom of the Grand Canyon when hikers realize that there was no way they were going to carry that Coleman lantern back up to the top! In fact, hiking down into the canyon on the Tanner Trail, I came across a group of Boy Scouts hiking up -- well spread out. One kid had no pack. When I asked him where his pack was, he said he tossed it off a cliff so that he would not have to carry it out!

The last (and only) time I hiked to the top of Half Dome was 1994 -- what a ZOO! More like a Disneyland Adventureland ride than a wilderness experience. Yosemite National Park now requires reservations/permit to hike to the top on Fridays, Sat and Sun -- and Federal holidays. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm Hopefully this will help a little. Hope you can make it up there! That would be a great training hike -- but forget trying to get a permit at this late date for anytime this summer! You'll have to do it during the week, not weekends.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Vaughn, next time you don't want to carry a stove, make one of these!

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Pretty cool! Thanks!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by akaa View Post
    When I first started thinking about this, I was going to take a cast iron pan! HA!
    Gulp...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recommend you start training for the climb. NO ALCOHOL- drink tons of water, its important to keep your body hydrated before and especially during the trek. At high altitude you need the water to help oxygenate your body. Make darn sure you can pack as much hydro as you need, and forgo some frivolity(like an extra camera body) and stay safe. Most important, post photos here for all to share.

cheers
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    akaa: You stated stated "Wy2l - We do not have permits yet". Be advised, the Inyo National Forest rangers WILL check your permits on this trail, and if you don't have them, WILL send you back to the trail head and/or issue a nasty ticket.

Check out the Inyo National Forest web site:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreat...heravail.shtml

There are 'special' rules for this trail. Find out about them. Bear canisters may be required. I would really hate for you to drive a long way and find out that you can't proceed, or worse, get a ticket. S*** like this can really ruin a vacation.

If you don't have a reservation to hike to Mt. Whitney, fear not, as there are lots of really great trips available. INF maintains a large percentage of all non-Whitney Wilderness Permits on a first-come, first served basis. If you are into suffering, consider the Shepherd Pass or Taboose Pass trails. Mere mortals can find other trails not so difficult - consult the friendly rangers in Lone Pine.

Kris
    Last edited by wy2l; 06-07-2010 at 08:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Can't spell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin