Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,598   Online: 1048

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best place to Photograph/Camp in Western Sierra Nevada's

Hello Apuger's!

I am currently planning a weekend photo trip to the Sierra Nevada's. I am just curious if anyone has any places or spots that they like and would like to share. I also am looking for a place with very little light pollution.

I will be shooting landscapes at all times of day (Night, Golden Hours, Day). I also like to swim and relax too, so a nearby lake of river/stream would be nice too!

I am mostly looking at locations around Lake Tahoe and am trying to avoid Yosemite (Too many tourists). I will be tent camping.

I live in the East Bay, so most of Northern California is within a day's drive.

Thanks!

Josh
    Cameras:
    Canon EOS Elan II/E, Elan 7, and 630. -- Bronica ETRS -- Pentax 6x7
    My Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go to the library and get a dayhiking book (if you don't already have one) and use that as a starting off point. I like the Silver and Caples lake area. they are on Highway 88 west of Kirkland ski resort.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, looks like a good place! Definitely looking into it. I like its vicinity to Tahoe (Days drive).

Thanks!
    Cameras:
    Canon EOS Elan II/E, Elan 7, and 630. -- Bronica ETRS -- Pentax 6x7
    My Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't camp much around Tahoe, I'm usually further South and there is lots of great stuff around Yosemite without the crowds of the Valley.
    Hetch Hetchy has great photo ops, but no camping at the reservoir. Nearby is Diamond O campground on Evergreen Rd ( about 5mi off Hwy 120 ). Great little campground with easy access to both Yosemite & Hetch Hetchy.
    Another favorite is Cherry Lake. Great camping. Excellent hiking opportunities to Kibbie Lake or around Lake Eleanor.
    I also really like Lake Thomas Edison. Kaiser Pass is open. Beautiful Sierra scenery and Vermillion Valley resort runs a Ferry service across the lake and your right at Mono Hot springs for a soak in the waters. Probably gonna be too cold to dip in any lake or river.

I'll 2nd Silver & Caples are also very nice.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin