Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,340   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Alt chems.. help me get my fix

hi

I just ordered a few kits from the states to get me started with cyanotypes and Pt/Pd printing...

In the future I thought I might dig into the net a bit further and attempt to purchase the chem's in larger quantities and hopefully more directly from the manufacturers (those to usually go hand in hand) to get more bang for my buck - Is there anyone here in NZ keen to share orders with me with these processes or other similar types ? - I gotta get my head round the processes first but thought I'd just see at this stage - perhaps people are already doing this ?

In any case I would love to hear from anyone in AK who has worked with either cyanotypes or especially pt/pd ...

and also, out of interest>> anyone else excited about the film fest ?

cheers,
    nick

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I got a cyanotype kit from the photo place in gt nth rd, it was enough for a few prints but pretty pricey for what it was

Id like to find somewhere i can get hold of chems to make my own solution
    Ive tried everywhere in NZ and have also posted in another thread of yours.

Id be totally into sharing orders

pm me if yr interested

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you can order the kits from the USA, have you looked into ordering the bulk chemicals from the US?

100 grams of Ferric ammonium citrate and 50 grams of Potassium ferricyanide will make about a liter (500ml of each) of cyanotype solution. Which would last you a long time. From Bostick and Sullivan, the 100grams of the FAC is US$8 and the P. ferricyanide is US$5.25 for 100grams. Of course it looks like shipping would cost more than the chemicals.

They also sell cyanotype kits -- the chemicals pre-measured in bottles one just adds water to. In 2x250ml ($25), 2x500 ($38), and 2x1000ml ($65) sizes.

But good luck in finding what you need!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

mdm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I could try to open an account with ajax, not as an individual, and if sucessful could bulk up an order with others to make it attractive to them. I am in Southland though so one of you would have to collect it up and post it on.

David
    Last edited by mdm; 06-15-2009 at 01:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    sent mdm a pm about possible places in nz to bulk order from, if anyone else is interested pm us! I live in wanganui and I desparately want bulk cyanotype chems

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ajax are fine ... they do smaller/smallish quantities for the photographer

Get a paper catalog
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    Ajax are fine ... they do smaller/smallish quantities for the photographer

Get a paper catalog

Im sure they are just lovely

but they do NOT ship chems to nz.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    um,

The Ajax I refer to are in NZ ...

http://www.ajaxfinechem.co.nz/

Shooter
    Instant Films
    argh Ive been mixing up ajax and vanbar(who are in oz) for the whole week for some reason, apologies.

ok the problem with ajax is
    a) they are more expensive than buying the stuff from america and having it shipped, Im an art student on a budget, a small budget.
    b) they do not sell to individuals, you need to be a registered company (which Im not) and get through their screening process and have things like referees you can call upon to do so, and Im just not that kinda guy
    so thats my ajax beef

vanbar who are in the same town as you I believe will only ship in melb/oz
    this whole thing is quite the mindf**k, its all so frustrating.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ajax,

hmmm - well, I've had no issues, not a registered co. - I explained I was a photographer and wanted to some chems for some alternative processes, I've even gone out to the warehouse to pick it up - nice guys ... My freezer at home is filled with a fair few Ajax bottles and containers.

Something has changed.

Perhaps it is your approach - as you say you're "not that kinda guy" - why expect them to make an exception for you ?

As for the cost - Photography has never been a cheap enterprise, let alone hobby.

I am working 80hr weeks at the mo' and am moving house from one place without a letterbox to one I don't know where yet, in the next don't quite know how long yet either - I wont be able to help you with delivery, sorry mate !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin