Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,808   Online: 828

Thread: camera builders

Shooter
    Medium Format

camera builders

Hiya,

phewph, no replies yet from the kiwi's ...

Ok - I'll try this:

Anyone here also a keen camera builder ? I'm building a very quick, cheap and cheerful 4x5 at the mo' - would be interesting to see anyone else's creations ... trade ideas, methods, material sources etc...

(;
    Nick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to see some photos of yours when you finish it. I haven't built one yet but i've built furniture and a lot of houses in the past. I want to build an 8x10 or larger so i'd love to get some ideas. I'll probably use baltic birch 9-ply plywood to start.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was going to take some pic's of the cam itself once it was finished and post them in the camera building forums - its not a pretty beast as I've made most of it out of bits that have come my way and I've tried to cut down on connections by simply bending metal and also cut down on saw cuts by using the wood as it is in an efficient manner (its not my workshop) - also the 'next parts' measurements have so far all been determined by the last piece I completed (I'm careful not to machine myself into a corner tho, if that makes sense) -

I've completed the rail (its a sort of 'duo-rail' monorail) the tilt-shift sticky-up bits (steel, aluminium and plastic-teflon material) - yesterday I completed the front frame bit and lens housing (using Fijian Kauri) - next up is the rear contraptions, no spring loaded GG for me, just a frame within a frame within a frame so I get a GG (ground glass) frame which swaps with a Ddark slide that slips into a square frame (portrait or landscape) which itself slips into the rear main-frame (standard?) -

what is the 'standard' anyway ? the sticky-up bits, the frame system in them ? or all combined ?

then its the bellows which i foresee being a ugly mess, but then its a camera! but I forgot first time round to make a tripod mount which is all essential as my shutter is a lens cap - should be easy tho

A few weeks I'm thinking ...

I had pondered it for so long, its nice now to just be doing it - and with a good workshop it is much faster and easier than you think to get it done ... I say go cheap and cheerful or it will never get finished, (or even started)

ply sounds interesting - probably more suited for a flat-bed style 8x10 ?
    could be heavy! which is good tho for the wind/shaking issues (that mine is going to have)

mine is really just a half-way mish-mash of the monorail style bender cam's (simple wooden construction) and the formicula (for the 'duo'-monorail system) - There are so many ways to do it ... (heh)

http://artm-friends.at/rm/foto/lf.html

http://www.benderphoto.com/8x10.htm

will def send you a link once I get some pic's up (;

thanks for the interest,
    Nick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    hi i m new user of this forum
    found it very interesting

Rock Poper hi
    tell me more about the camera u want to make////
    any link or some more information about itt
    ERWIN

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is a link for my current effort in my signature line. I also have some CAD drawings which may be of some use to anyone looking to build their own 5x4 folding camera. PM me for copies.

Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i have made two pinholes, too easy huh.

also a 10x8 lensed camera out of materials costing 10 euro, i am in the process of removing any manufactured item from all my camera and darkroom gear.

no more crappy canon or nikon for me. soulless amateur crap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I built a monorail from Jon Grepstad's plans... here's a link to the article I wrote (sorry, it's in French, but the pictures are there !)

http://www.galerie-photo.com/construire-sa-chambre.html
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    here's a link to the article I wrote (sorry, it's in French, but the pictures are there !)
    Excellent. I like your use of windscreen wiper metal for the springs. Have these worked out o.k. or have you had to change them for something else?

I have read reports of people cutting springs from stainless steel kitchen spatulas and some have even used hacksaw blades!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Excellent. I like your use of windscreen wiper metal for the springs. Have these worked out o.k. or have you had to change them for something else?
    Thanks Steve !

In fact this camera has hardly seen any use, so I never replaced the springs. They work fine if one is careful enough. I guess I could have made them a bit longer with bent ends, and they'd be OK.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin