Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,967   Online: 1173

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Another thought. As you are driving to Alexandra, the highway follows along the Kawarau River. On this section of the highway there is an old mining area - it looks like a tourist spot - with a number of restored buildings, which is worth looking at. There is parking lot along the road, and a hanging bridge crossing the river that you need to walk across to reach it. Good for a couple of hours.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Kathy,
    Great to hear you've made to NZ (sorry I'm a little slow to the celebrations).
    Arrowtown, I sincerely believe is one of the most beautiful towns in the country. There is a great deal of material to photograph in the area - hope you enjoy the stay. Looks like you'll see the best of the seasons over the 9 months.

Re suppliers, personally I've found Photo & Video to be the best. They seem to have the most comprehensive range and competitive prices, other than the importers and distributors that supply them - Euroco in Grey Lynn, Auckland.

Best, John.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Harcom
    Hi,

I am travelling over to South Island in a couple of weeks to stay for around about 9 months. My husband is taking up a job in Queenstown and we will be staying in Arrowtown.

I was wondering if there are any APUG'ers in the area?

Also, photography suppliers, I know Photo & Video International in Christchurch are great, but wondered if anyone can recommend anywhere else.

Just one more question this is a bit of a long shot but, does anyone know of a community darkroom in Central Otago/Otago?

Many thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Another thought. As you are driving to Alexandra, the highway follows along the Kawarau River. On this section of the highway there is an old mining area - it looks like a tourist spot - with a number of restored buildings, which is worth looking at. There is parking lot along the road, and a hanging bridge crossing the river that you need to walk across to reach it. Good for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the updated link. Having done a little research about St. Bathans, it just seems to be a really fascinating place. I shall also check out the Kawarau river area. Thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Hi Kathy,
    Great to hear you've made to NZ (sorry I'm a little slow to the celebrations).
    Arrowtown, I sincerely believe is one of the most beautiful towns in the country. There is a great deal of material to photograph in the area - hope you enjoy the stay. Looks like you'll see the best of the seasons over the 9 months.

Re suppliers, personally I've found Photo & Video to be the best. They seem to have the most comprehensive range and competitive prices, other than the importers and distributors that supply them - Euroco in Grey Lynn, Auckland.

Best, John.
    Hi John!

Thanks for your good wishes.

Good to hear your thoughts as well. We are really enjoying Arrowtown, it was one of the places I was captivated with when we visited before...but it also has hidden depths and gems, which we are gradually discovering!

Thanks also for the advice/info about P&V & Euroco.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Kathy,

I`m moving to Central Otago at the beginning of December... I`ll be at Roxburgh, which is still some way from Arrowtown but I`m often photographing around the Arrowtown, Queenstown region and would be pleased to meet up with you sometime. If you want to PM me I`ll give you my address and phone #.
    Cheers, Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ian, sorry I didn't make it down to Port Chalmers on my recent trip. My friend near Alexandra called and asked me to come to her house for dinner. I did manage to get some really good images of Moeraki Boulders at sunrise and I also had dinner at Fleur's Place (thanks for the fantastic recommendation) - first place I ever ate where the dinner/drink orders were taken on a wireless PalmPilot.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ian leeden
    Hi Kathy,

I`m moving to Central Otago at the beginning of December... I`ll be at Roxburgh, which is still some way from Arrowtown but I`m often photographing around the Arrowtown, Queenstown region and would be pleased to meet up with you sometime. If you want to PM me I`ll give you my address and phone #.
    Cheers, Ian

Thanks Ian....I have PM'd you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I I did manage to get some really good images of Moeraki Boulders at sunrise and I also had dinner at Fleur's Place (thanks for the fantastic recommendation) - first place I ever ate where the dinner/drink orders were taken on a wireless PalmPilot.

Ooh I shall note that down for reference. Always good to know a good place for a meal ...thanks guys

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Harcom
    Ooh I shall note that down for reference. Always good to know a good place for a meal ...thanks guys
    Hi Kathy,

Fleur's Place is in Moeraki village, about 20km north of Palmerston on the coast (It would be over 250 km from the Queenstown/Arrowtown area, but worth the trip). The village is a few km off the main highway so you need to watch for the signs - the turnoff is about 2 or 3 km from Moeraki Boulders, so if you pass the Boulders you have missed the village.

Moeraki Boulders is a great place to visit, great landscapes. When you turn off the main highway, the road branches to the left; this is to a private restaurant/tourist center, with beach access (they ask for $2) and is only a short walk from there to the boulders themselves. If you continue straight instead of turning, you come to a Department of Conservation park/picnic ground. From there the walk is about .5 km to the boulders.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Robert

you know more about the South Island than I do!

Clayton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin