Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,667   Online: 810

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

South Island ~ Central Otago/Otago Region

Hi,

I am travelling over to South Island in a couple of weeks to stay for around about 9 months. My husband is taking up a job in Queenstown and we will be staying in Arrowtown.

I was wondering if there are any APUG'ers in the area?

Also, photography suppliers, I know Photo & Video International in Christchurch are great, but wondered if anyone can recommend anywhere else.

Just one more question this is a bit of a long shot but, does anyone know of a community darkroom in Central Otago/Otago?

Many thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Kathy,

I was just in Central Otago a couple of weeks ago. I spent time in both Queenstown and Arrowtown (both have grown a lot in the past 5 years). I haven't heard of anything like you are looking for, however, I could suggest that you contact the Aoraki Polytechnic in Dunedin - I met one of their photography instructors at Aoraki Mt. Cook a few weeks ago.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Robert!

Thanks for your message. Shame I missed you, I didn't get here until 21st Oct.
    Good idea about the Polytechnic in Dunedin, though it is a long run from here. There might be a possibility a little closer, but I am yet to check it out.

I haven't met any photographers yet! but plenty of other interesting and friendly people.

I hope you enjoyed your trip...and the weather was kind. It has been beautiful since we got here, though as yet I haven't shot much film...I must improve!

Thanks again

Kathy

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get out the infrared, Kathy! It's that time of year down there. Wish I was there!
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, I'm sorry I missed you as well. You are in quite a beautiful area. If you get a chance, go into Central Otago and visit St. Bathans. It is an old gold mining town, but the most famous feature of the town is Blue Lake (it is actually the remains of mining activity).

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Harcom
    Hey Robert!

Thanks for your message. Shame I missed you, I didn't get here until 21st Oct.
    Good idea about the Polytechnic in Dunedin, though it is a long run from here. There might be a possibility a little closer, but I am yet to check it out.

I haven't met any photographers yet! but plenty of other interesting and friendly people.

I hope you enjoyed your trip...and the weather was kind. It has been beautiful since we got here, though as yet I haven't shot much film...I must improve!

Thanks again

Kathy
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    Get out the infrared, Kathy! It's that time of year down there. Wish I was there!

That sounds like a good plan Diane!!! The spring foliage is just gorgeous at the moment.

Kathy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Yes, I'm sorry I missed you as well. You are in quite a beautiful area. If you get a chance, go into Central Otago and visit St. Bathans. It is an old gold mining town, but the most famous feature of the town is Blue Lake (it is actually the remains of mining activity).

Robert

Yes, you are right it is a lovely area.

Last time I was over I started photographing the Old Chinese gold mining settlement in Arrowtown, but I didn't manage to complete it and so plan on working on that.

So, thank you for the info on St. Bathans I am sure I will find it interesting, I shall make a point of finding it!

Kathy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Harcom
    Yes, you are right it is a lovely area.

Last time I was over I started photographing the Old Chinese gold mining settlement in Arrowtown, but I didn't manage to complete it and so plan on working on that.

So, thank you for the info on St. Bathans I am sure I will find it interesting, I shall make a point of finding it!

Kathy
    It isn't hard to find. First go to Alexandra, then take Highway 85 towards Ranfurly. There is a loop road into St. Bathans; one part starts near the community of Becks (it is sealed), but if you go to the unsealed part, a few km up the road from there, you will find a real nice set of clay cliffs near the river. Here is a map of the area you can download: http://www.newzealand.com/travel/lib...=l46331_23.pdf

Also, don't forget to have a beer or two at the Vulcan Hotel.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the directions, map and also the tip about the cliffs...well and the Vulcan! I'll be looking out for that

Kathy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That link I provided seems to be broken. Try this: http://www.newzealand.com/travel/library/l46331_23.pdf

It looks like a big file, so unless you have broadband you may not want to download it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin