Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,538   Online: 1078

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

LFer spotted in Wellington.

I'm not really normally one to make one of these threads, but this was the first time I'd ever seen anyone other than me using LF out in public so thought I'd see if it was anyone here.

I was driving around Wellington's south coast last night (2nd Jan, '08) and saw a guy using either a 4x5 or 5x7 (probably the former, but it was getting close to dark) standing up on the road above Houghton Bay.

Not one to pry, but seeing you out there made me wish I had my camera with me. The sunset was brilliant last night. It inspired me to get out and use my 4x5 a lot more too.

Hope your shot/s turned out great.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It wasn't me, of course...I am in California. But I spent 3 months in NZ in 1980/81 and then again 5 and a half months in 1986/87 photographing with LF, and never even saw a MF camera, let alone a LF camera, in action by anyone else. As rare as hen's teeth, as they say.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah even these days it is a really rare thing. I'm not 100% sure if I've seen anyone other than me using MF either, but there's bound to be people out there as the local camera store has a pretty well stocked supply of 4x5 and 120.

Part of the reason why sometimes I don't enjoy using 4x5 as much as I should, because as soon as people see you doing it, everyone starts staring, and I don't like people staring when I'm shooting. It's something I need to get over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wasn't me either, or my friend Jim (he's too busy shooting buildings!)

If you see a guy wandering around with MF folders, that is probably me. Or a 1930's 9x12cm folder, or 5x4 MPP or Pentacon 6. I hardly bother with miniature format stuff these days

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's also Clayton Tume who shoots 5x12 (and mostly panorama types) in Wellington. See his website here: http://www.bigshotz.co.nz/

He used to show up here on occasion, but I guess he's been too busy.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    There's also Clayton Tume who shoots 5x12 (and mostly panorama types) in Wellington. See his website here: http://www.bigshotz.co.nz/

He used to show up here on occasion, but I guess he's been too busy.
    I actually bought one of his photos for my father for Christmas a few years ago. I most or less concluded it wasn't him as he uses some serious panorama kit, and the person I saw was using a smaller, 4x5-looking camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know no one will believe this but my wife will tell you it's true.

Last summer we spotted three of the great ghastly things in a row. They were all set up on the tripod things and pointing at a lake with mountains in the background. There were men under them as well, heads all covered with black clothes. (What does that tell you!) Frightened the wife to bits. I'm a strong man but I was terribly shocked and frightened myself.

What can be done?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm occasionally in town with my MF kit, the only other time I've seen somebody else shooting MF was last year two Massey students photographing a church. Few weeks before that I saw a guy photographing the ANZ building, large format and wide angle lens I think. I know I'm not alone, because other people keep buying film from the local shop, just never when I'm there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin