Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,931   Posts: 1,522,190   Online: 1117

Shooter
    Large Format

There IS Tri-X in Auckland!

I stopped into the Auckland Camera Center yesterday to get some Tri-X in 120 and was told "it hasn't been imported into New Zealand since 2007". They only had TMax. When I asked who might have Tri-X in Auckland, was told "if we don't have it, no one does."

This was news to the folks at PCL Imaging (pcl.co.nz) in Eden Terrace. PCL has a big fridge full 'o film. They had plenty of fresh Tri-X in 120 (or they did until I cleaned them out) and 35mm, along with various Ilford and Fuji films in 120 and 35. They also had stacks of Fuji Instant. They even had Fuji Instax!

If you need film in Auckland, it's the place to go.
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Auckland Camera is filled with a few old curmudgeons with nothing better than to moan about how 'no one makes that anymore' - they seem to take pride in not delivering what you're looking for ...

I've had some odd odd experiences in there, like they are trying to go out of business or something. That being said, on occasion I've had great customer experiences in there - but not enough to walk in without an expectation of some sort of confrontation at the suggestion that I do actually use the chems/film/format that I am talking about ...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problems getting TriX down here in the capital.

I have to say, I think we are rather lucky down here in Wellington - talk to people in WPS, and they actually understand what your on about. They actually use film themselves, all sorts of different formats, etc. There's always a good selection of film, and they even carry 120 film in their central city store.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome!! I was about to post to ask where to get some Tri-X in Auckland and the answer magically appears!!! Cheers lads!

P.S. You're right about Auckland Camera, a bunch of weird old guys. Anything you ask about they say is no longer made. I've only been a couple of times, all the second hand stuff seems pretty expensive. I do get my developer from them though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn, PCL isn't open on weekends. That makes life hard for this Waikato boy.

Anyone know if photo.co.nz has any Tri-X, that's my next stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to see that you found some, I was about to get the RAAF to air-drop some in for you!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    some thoughts, a bit dislocated maybe - but there you go :

I reserve my comments for a couple of individuals only but as for the company as a whole they seem to have this contradictory business model of selling film cameras at high prices and yet seem uninterested in stocking anything that goes in them but your standard stuff, as if that was quirky enough ...

8x10 ?!!?! "no one shoots that anymore" - there is of course, an 8x10 sitting in the display cabinet for sale just 5 or so feet away.

I can understand that I might be the only guy in the country looking for Bergger COT320 or whatever, but its not going to stop me from asking, best just say its not worth your while to bring it in - I am aware of the population of NZ - but don't patronize me for having asked, I get the feeling you're rolling your eyes as you turn away ...

Recently Pro Gear in Parnell had some crazy nice gear going for next to a song - and they sold with a smile, I would spend an hour or two in there just chatting ... Something the AK Camera guys might want to have a think about.

I've often wondered if they are aware that the founder/owner of this very website is based in greater Auckland
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Chris, PCL is out of Tri-X in 120 right now, thanks to me snapping up a dozen rolls. Make sure you call first, they are very helpful over the phone too.
    Vince Donovan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin