Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,579   Online: 1167

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    This year I began experimenting with always leaving film cassettes in the plastic canisters to see if it would cut down on the scratches I get from dust getting onto the leader/felt. I'll admit that I didn't exactly take notes on the results, but my observations were that I got the same amount of scratches as before; which is to say, rarely and unpredictably.

For travel, I generally carry my film in a gallon-size freezer-thickness plastic zip bags. The most I have carried with the canisters is 40 (I do not have separate check-in luggage). For an upcoming trip I will need minimum 70 rolls (50 days of travel--and although my average at the end of a trip is always barely over one roll per day, I'm worried about being too conservative) and I am not sure yet what I'll do about canisters. If they don't fit, I probably won't bring them.

I've recently been working on a project where I shoot 3-5 rolls within a few hours, never removed from their canisters until use, only in one camera. Usually I have no scratches, but for a couple shoot days, one roll would have (minor) scratches while the rest wouldn't. I'm considering the possibility that some particle got on the film in the wash stage and scratched its way down the emulsion as the water dripped off..which would still mean the canisters didn't necessarily do much. While in the zipped plastic bag the cassettes and leaders do rub against each other, I do keep it zipped any time I'm not taking film in or out...I don't think too much dust is introduced. I don't tape the leaders down.

I know it doesn't seem like the canisters are much bigger than the cassettes but it depends on how you travel and what kind of luggage you have. I've found the difference to be significant, even though I went ahead and made space for them on the last couple trips.

Those egg-crate-esque Japan exposures film holders seem cool, but for the way I pack the film into my carryon, they're not practical...I need a more malleable mass of film, as un-structured as possible. But your packing style may be different.

Extra plastic bags are useful on any backpacking trip, whether you're a photographer or not. In my case, I take film from the main stash gallon bag and pop a few rolls into a quart-size bag that goes into my daybag once I get wherever I'm supposed to be. I also separate into multiple gallon bags when a trip has distinct parts so I know which is which when I get home...like last year when I had 4 days at a wedding in Belize and then went to El Salvador for 9 days alone. This time I have 10 days of a family trip to China/Taiwan which I will segue into a solo trip to Indonesia. I want two clearly marked separate bags of film...both to feel safe when I'm running down my mental checklist each time I'm packing up for a new place but also to know what to develop first when I get home .

Shooter
    35mm
    I use these boxes made by Fuji, they can be got at Japanexposures:

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I use these boxes made by Fuji, they can be got at Japanexposures:
    Those were actually mentioned on the first page. Where can I get a 120-version of those?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by verney View Post
    Those were actually mentioned on the first page. Where can I get a 120-version of those?

Oops! I should read a bit closer! I've never seen 120 versions.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would any of these containers for biological specimans do? The cocoon boxes might be suitable?

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/...ion/boxes.aspx

Steve
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use foil to wrap each cartridge and tape up the seam so it's light tight and moisture tight... Then pack the in plastic zip-loc bags

Shooter
    35mm
    Use Ziploc bags or those sweet grey Fuji boxes. Those are sort of watertight and pack 10 rolls of film each, pretty tightly as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use old Tupperware containers - squarish ones with a lid. They hold about 15-18 rolls from memory and pack really well. Anytime they show signs of splitting, I get my mum to visit the Tupperware store and get them replaced gratis!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're going backpacking anywhere outside the cities e.g. Milford Sound, Haast, Westland, Mount Cook etc., consider protecting everything you have, especially film in canisters, from kea. The parrots can open canisters, rip the film out then move on to the next form of amusement to them, like windscreen wipers/rubber surrounds, packs that look inviting to peck open and even the beloved NZ invention, the thong is not safe. Keep film with you in tent (with food, too) in whatever form of sturdy protection you can dream up and hope for the best!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    If you're going backpacking anywhere outside the cities e.g. Milford Sound, Haast, Westland, Mount Cook etc., consider protecting everything you have, especially film in canisters, from kea. The parrots can open canisters, rip the film out then move on to the next form of amusement to them, like windscreen wipers/rubber surrounds, packs that look inviting to peck open and even the beloved NZ invention, the thong is not safe. Keep film with you in tent (with food, too) in whatever form of sturdy protection you can dream up and hope for the best!
    you might want to explain which thong you mean, just so we don`t get the wrong idea
    rergards
    CW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin