Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,252   Online: 867

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL!!
    (the foot thongs people frequently kick-off and absent-mindedly put on their car roof while they go nature-walkabouts...).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    LOL!!
    (the foot thongs people frequently kick-off and absent-mindedly put on their car roof while they go nature-walkabouts...).
    I believe they are called "flip-flops" here in the states. When I used to back pack, I carried my film in the canisters in zip lock bags, inside strap on accessory bags. These are the soft pouches that attach to the main pack via the slotted leather patches. The ones I had also strapped onto my waist belt and I had a smaller one attached to a shoulder strap that held film for that day, and some other small essentials. I wish I could still go off on pack trips like I used to, 2-3 weeks in the Uintah Mts in NE Utah, or Sawtooths. My aging body cant do that anymore.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thongs tend to be worn on the mid part of the body in NZ. We wear jandals on our feet, as thongs don't offer any underfoot protection. Jandals worn in the mid part of the body would chaff somewhat....

The xray scanners in AKL and CHCH are fine for film. You'll get to put your bags through the quarantine scanners too - no choice there. Do remember to declare everything - some friends from Sydney came over the other week, with a very expensive mandarine in their bags - a $400 instant fine one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thongs used to refer to a type of sandal here, but now refer to a type of underwear.

We have a family friend who is an elementary school teacher. One day she was discussing an upcoming school trip to a pool or a beach and without thinking suggested to her young charges that they should bring their thongs (footware). One of the little girls told her that the little girl's mother wouldn't let the little girl wear thongs.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a confession. I haven't worn my pretty fluoro-orange thong since it was exposed to salt water and morphed into a pink one!!
    Well, PC, o'er The Ditch we still call those uber-fashionable thing 'thongs', for want of a better turn. Surf shop on the coast nearby has a wall with more than 600 different styles (!). Yes, my Lonely Planet bible says they're called Jandals.

What's this about X-Ray scanners in Quarantine? I never had any Quarantine inspection, X-Ray or otherwise, of my boxes, portmanteaux and bags ("too much stuff", mutters the Customs man under his breath...).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In England we call them flip flops, and they are a must for sailors and they move between mess deck and showers. Thongs on the other hand are things strange people wear
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin