Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,561   Online: 1151

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope everbody is ok.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is horrendous, harrowing and heavy stuff to witness; a credit to the NZ media struggling with broken and overloaded infrastructure. My God, a beautiful city that looks like a bomb has fallen.

Was reading on the New Zealand Herald about the 400km Alpine Fault — responsible for the majestic towering mountains of the South Island, and the terminal consequences if that monstrous fault went troppo — which it is due to within the ongoing 50-year time frame (!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best wishes to all in New Zealand
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My thoughts and condolences. A beautiful city and fine people. I lived in the North Island for 25 years, my Kiwi son and his family live in Wellington. We always thought that Wellington would be the big one.

I remember how the Air NZ Antarctic plane disaster affected everyone in NZ; it's one big family and only those who live in a small country will completely understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We're now getting more info too from some of the surrounding suburbs, including the port area. Some incredible pictures, like where a truck sized bolder has come down the hill above, straight through one house and down the hill. Much of Lyttelton's hostoric building have been devastated. The liquefaction and actual earth movement looks worse this time.

I was down there last week, the building I was in is apparently a write-off. The tallest building there is on the verge of collapse, having taken on a bit of a twisted lean.

Like Ross said, everyone thought it'd be Wellington. It's probably only a matter of time....

Best wishes to our Christchurch folk.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Aftermath photo of the city area

http://i.imgur.com/0vZbD.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ross and P C Headland: Everybody might have thought it would be Wellington, but nobody, not even Seismologists, thought it would ever be Christchurch. That is the big tragedy; September 4 has been described as a cruel dress rehearsal. Christchurch will never look the same after this, and that is the horror of the situation: a beautiful city wantonly smashed. Kiwis are resilient. They'll bounce back, tortured and scarred, but they'll be back sure as the sun rises.

easter NY, 2 miles so. of Canadian border
    Shooter
    Large Format
    My heart, and my prayers go out to these fine people in Christchurch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin