Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,315   Online: 944

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Good News. Airfares might be OK at that time, esp if you book soon. I wouldn't leave it too late. Weather will be good also .

Do keep us informed Robert. Would be great to catch up.

I'm going to Melbourne for just about pocket change next week. (only a rushed couple of days unfortunately).
    I'm keeping an eye, airfares from LA are pretty good, $700 US, but LA is too far out of the way for me; it would mean flying 20 hours versus 10 from here. Air New Zealand flies from Honolulu, but I haven't been able to find out on what days. I sent them an email about it, hopefully they will respond.

Keeping my fingers crossed
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you can try http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz but may already have

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Moving from N Carolina to Wellington in June

Immigration has "selected" our app and we should be approved by late spring. Spent two weeks on the South Island a year ago, plus two days in Wellington, and fell in love with it all. Took more pics than I've taken in years. The NZ scenery just explodes your eyeballs, shakes your visual sensibilities right to the core. It's the dead of winter right now and we're reading about the hot sunshine at Big Day Out and wishing we were there NOW. Any supportive advice on moving to Wellington, in-the-city neighborhoods to live in (and ones to avoid), where to buy 4x5 film and processing, galleries to check out, etc. would be appreciated. Seeya soon! I'll be posting some photos over the weekend.
    - Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey there Jim, that's good news. Wellington is a great city to live in. The art/culture scene there is the best (of the big cities).

"The NZ scenery just explodes your eyeballs, shakes your visual sensibilities right to the core."
    You'll get used to it . Great to have another photographer over this way.

I believe Sean has actually lived there (moved from the US himself, and apug founder also), he may chime in with some suggestions. Welcome along.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simmons
    Immigration has "selected" our app and we should be approved by late spring. Spent two weeks on the South Island a year ago, plus two days in Wellington, and fell in love with it all. Took more pics than I've taken in years. The NZ scenery just explodes your eyeballs, shakes your visual sensibilities right to the core. It's the dead of winter right now and we're reading about the hot sunshine at Big Day Out and wishing we were there NOW. Any supportive advice on moving to Wellington, in-the-city neighborhoods to live in (and ones to avoid), where to buy 4x5 film and processing, galleries to check out, etc. would be appreciated. Seeya soon! I'll be posting some photos over the weekend.
    - Jim
    Hey Jim

I'm a Wellington guy along with David, while LF is thin on the ground here there are a few shooting it if you know where to look.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time, I met a guy in Salt Lake City who said the same things and tried to emmigrate. He was highly skilled but was turned down so you are indeed one of the lucky ones. The strange thing about this is we do need more people but red tape beats some of the good ones.

So welcome!......pm me, no problem.

Just for you I walked down to the beach (100 metres) and shot off some pics on my crappy digital camera, sorry about the quality, as you know film would have done a better job.

Clayton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beach.jpg  

Sean,

From someone who has never been to NZ, is there a difference between north and south island? Is one more developed than the other? One more rural than the other or they just about the same? here in the U.S., the east coast is so different than the west coast and New England is so different than the southwest.

How would you describe the difference between the two islands?

Just wondering.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Definitely want to meet up with some of you when I have more time!
    Sean

My name is Michael Dunn and I have just found this site. I am a NZ citizen, currently in Wellington, where I previously owned a house in which I built a wonderful darkroom,with an 9 ft by 32 inch sink and 2 4X5 Omega enlargers.

Unfortunately, I had to sell the house, but still have all my darkroom gear in storage. I shoot mainly medium format 6X7, 6X9 and 6X17, some 4X5, some 35 mm. Given the lack of a darkroom I am scanning some of my work, but it is not the same as working in the darkroom.

If you are still in NZ, it would be good to catch up with you.

Best regards

Michael Dunn
    Bay Images
    Wellington

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD
    If you are still in NZ, it would be good to catch up with you.
    You don't have to worry about Sean, he is our guy in Whangaparaoa. He isn't going anywhere.

BTW, welcome to APUG, Michael. I hope you will post an introduction and tell us more about yourself.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm coming back to Wellington around the beginning of April this year. We've been living and working in the EU for the past few years, but with the arrival of a "small format" version of ourselves, we've decided to return.

After playing around with a d*g*t*l camera, I went back to film via classic medium format cameras from the 50's and 60's. I've also got a '37 9x12cm camera and picked up a 5x4 recently. My usual walk-around camera these days is a 6x6 Russian folder.

Plenty of interesting photo ops in Wellington and environs.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a new one, just joined today. Currently building myself a darkroom. Living on Lake Tarawera, Rotorua. Keen to meet other members

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin