Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,630   Online: 1002

Shooter
    35mm

Another one gone

For those of us in the North East of England you may be interested to note that another independent photographic retailer has closed down. Darlington Photo Centre (Or something similar) in Post house Wynd, has closed it's doors for good. Not that it went bust or bought out, the owners have just retired and there was no one to take up the reins. Their website is still about but of very little use.

Very sad really. They were the closest to where I live that actually had a small but decent stock of B&W printing paper and chemicals plus a range film of all makes. They also had a decent '2nd hand window' where used cameras and lenses could be bought for realistic prices. I am sorry to see them go.

All that is left is Jessops around the corner and they are about as much good as a chocolate tea-pot. The display shelves were almost bare. large cabinets with only 2 compacts per cabinet and not even a decent Digital SLR for sale. They really are the pits!

Shooter
    35mm
    Nasty when a local shop with a reasonable stock of stuff goes. There are several good analogue retailers about but unless you live close to them postage costs bump thing up unless you can order big and make sure your list is comprehensive with nothing missed

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    There's always Jessops.

I'll get my coat....................

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloydy View Post
    There's always Jessops.

I'll get my coat....................
    You are banned for swearing!!!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    I beg forgiveness, and promise to never mention Jessops ever again!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The bloke who ran the Darlington Photo Centre was an analogue photographer through and through.

As the OP said, he had a good selection of interesting second hand cameras and lenses and sensible prices

I too am sorry to see him go

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    But the lenses and cameras are still around, just not in the great little shops that we loved. My favorite was in Penrith, it was an Alladins cave of photographic delights, but it now exists only on the internet.
    Perhaps we should be listing, and praising, the dealers that are holding out ? My current dealer of choice is the guy who has a stall on Ludlow, Shropshire, street market twice a week, and I think he's at Leominster one day as well. The rent is cheaper for a market stall.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin