Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,740   Online: 904

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sadly I probably won't be able to make it. But I hope the day goes really well for all who are there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am pleased to add Mark Burley to those traveling in each day.

Staying at the Hotel

Stoo Batchelor
    Neil Souch
    Barry Wilkinson
    Martin Aislabe
    Martin and Vivien Howse
    Jon Butler

Traveling in for the day, definitely, possibly, maybe

Mark Burley
    BobF
    Tudor
    Paul Enters
    Alan Jones
    Mike Crawford
    Delphine Lopez
    Ian Leake
    Mike Heller and his Sister

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Everyone

So here we are just under a week away from our first gathering in London, and thank you all so much for the great response. A few Mondays back I took a trip up town and met up with Jon Butler to do a reccy of the area, and to see if the itinerary we had loosely put together was doable, and to get an idea of what food etc was available to us all near to the hotel. The hotel is beautifully situated just a short stroll away from the gateway to Tower Bridge, and close by is St Katherine's Dock, where there is an abundance of places to eat, and tastes to suite everyone. Two that come to mind are the Mala, an Indian Restaurant, which looks very reasonably priced and has a very varied menu, which also includes a good variety of Vegetarian dishes. The menu can be found on their site here:

http://malarestaurant.com/

Close by is The Dickens Inn, which has a varied menu to suite everyone. Their Grill menu looks superb though a little bit pricey, but overall not too bad. Their menus etc can be found here:

http://www.dickensinn.co.uk/the-grill/the-grill-menu

Of course these are only suggestions and good cheap food can be found elsewhere. I had a beautiful piece of cod in beer batter with a side salad for £9 in a pub in Borough Market, so eating does not have to cost the earth. Other eateries can be found here:

http://www.skdocks.co.uk/restaurants/

The loosely planned itinerary for the Saturday is as follows.

After Breakfast, at approx 09.30am, head over Tower Bridge to the Southbank and spend some time making images along the way. The idea will be to head towards Borough Market, which is a great area for photography, and spend some time in the area, perhaps having a bit of lunch, a beer, or a coffee. As I have mentioned before, there are a few great pubs doing great food at reasonable prices, or you may prefer to eat from one of the stalls on the market itself. A little further along the Thames is the Tate Modern, which stands opposite the Wobbly bridge that leads accross to St Paul's. Again, a wonderful place for photography.

A little before 2.30pm, it would be a good idea for those that are going to the Salgado exhibition, and have booked tickets for 3pm, to meet at London Bridge (which we pass on the way), as we will need to cross the Thames to Monument tube to catch the Circle line to South Kensington.

The exhibition closes at 17.50pm, and somewhere around that time would be a good idea to head back to the hotel to have a freshen up and prepare for the Print share, which hopefully will kick off about 7.00pm to 7.30pm, though as we all know, it happens when it happens, but it is good to set a rough time for those planning on popping in for the evening. Some time during the day we should decide at what point to eat in the evening?

So, the print share will be 7.00 to 7.30pm-ish, at the Travelodge, London Tower Bridge.

Sunday Itinerary

Sundays itinerary can be discussed during the day by those attending, but both myself and Jon think that the key place to visit are:

Canary Wharf
    St Katherine's Dock
    Limehouse Basin
    Greenwich

All are stops on the Docklands Light Railway, and just a short walk away. Personally, both Limehouse Basin and Canary Wharf are beautiful with the sun low in the sky, so perhaps the afternoon shoot can end at one of these locations.

One last thing, There will be about three or four short tube journeys during the weekend, so it may be a good idea to buy a visitors Oyster travel card, or perhaps inquire about including tube travel with in the price of your rail fare if you are traveling in by train. Info on the Oyster card can be found here:

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/

A few other things to remember.

By all means bring a tripod, but don't be too upset if you are moved on. Maybe late at night by the Thames you may get away with it.

Bring a Brolly!

For those travelling in for the day, you can find out where we are by calling my mobile: 07736 544472.

Cheers, and look forward to seeing you soon.

Best

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dear all,

I will be coming back to London on Saturday evening. I am hoping to join the print share later around 8 / 8pm - ish.

Best

D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    Dear all,

I will be coming back to London on Saturday evening. I am hoping to join the print share later around 8 / 8pm - ish.

Best

D
    Lovely to hear that you will be joining us Delphine. Please do bring some of your latest work, or some of your hand made books. It will be lovely to hear all about what you have been up to of late.

see you Saturday.

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Stoo

Sorry, but looks like I'm not going to be in London this weekend so will have to miss out on the fun. Hope you have a good time and catch up soon.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    Hi Stoo

Sorry, but looks like I'm not going to be in London this weekend so will have to miss out on the fun. Hope you have a good time and catch up soon.

Mike
    Hi MIke

That is such a shame. I shall look forward to catching up with you in the near future.

All the very best, and enjoy your weekend.

Stoo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Stoo,

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to London this weekend. I've left it until as late as possible just in case circumstances change, but as it stands at the moment I won't make it.
    I was really looking forward to the weekend and meeting up with you lot, but alas it is not to be, at least not for the present. Fortunately, I haven't lost out on the hotel booking, as we were going to be staying with friends just outside. Nevermind, there's always next time...
    Have fun,
    Trevor.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,
    I just wanted to say thanks for the nice Sunday. It was really great that I could have joined you for the day. Especially, as it was on the last minute. I enjoyed the talks and you were really kind to me. If there is any stranger who wants to join the next meeting, do not hesitate. Take part. You won't regret it!
    Thanks a lot to all of you. Especially to Stoo for the organisation. Have good journey back home.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Stuart for organising. It was nice to see old faces again after such a long time. I saw some amazing photography and prints at the print viewing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin