Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,357   Online: 852

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lizard in June

Shooter
    35mm
    For goodness sake, take "survival gear" especially thermal blankets as given the current temperature and the weather forecast we may be in for the coldest June on record

pentaxuser (writing this in pencil as the ink in the pen has frozen and now expecting a three-dog-night as the Alaskans say )

Shooter
    35mm
    Whitsun used to be a fairly good guarantee of warmth if not sun...

Back in the late '70s and for ten years we took our annual family holiday to Cornwall, always staying in Newquay at the Cotswold Hotel. My parents and grandparents had got into the habit in the late '60s (4 adults and luggage in a Mini overnight from the Midlands!). We always had sun or so my memory goes. Last few times I've been down it's been appalling. Last year we had to buy jumpers in August.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    We live in a strange climate. In 2008 in the second week in May we were eating outside in Cornwall at 7:30pm in short sleeves. Today in the South Midlands it was 7 degrees centigrade in the middle of the afternoon!!! There were days in January that matched this temperature

I am sure it will pick up for you but I'd certainly take a water and wind proof anorak. There is nothing worse than being soaked through and cold even if you have the best landscape in the world in front of you

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    We will take our winter stuff, changing clothes is easy, changing film not so. I invariably have 100ASA film loaded on the darkest, most overcast days.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, the Gods were smiling and we had some great sunny days. Rain was mostly over two (very) stormy nights. We visited a lot of places: Mullion, Kynance and Church cove (both of them), Lizard point and a couple of little places around Penzance. The biggest problem was the wind, it was very strong and I really didn't feel very safe on the cliff edges, very blustery and sudden gusts. It was worse at Mullion where I didn't even try a cliff-top shot of the harbour. We drove past the Halzephron on the way to Church Cove and I thought I recognise that name from somewhere - only when I came back to this thread did I remember why! The best light was at Church Cove too. I shot 4 rolls of film.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    We drove past the Halzephron on the way to Church Cove and I thought I recognise that name from somewhere - only when I came back to this thread did I remember why!
    You should of eaten there, as you missed a great gourmet experience.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,

Sounds like you've experienced Cornwall at it's finest! I find that extreme weather more than "just OK" weather really lends something a bit special to the scenery down there. Then again, I do have a penchant for the dramatic!

Would be great to see some of your work when you've finished processing and tinkering!

Totally agree with cliveh too - you missed a cracker at the Halzephron!
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's always next time for the Halzephron - we drove past at 8am on the way to Church Cove on a Sunday so it wasn't open. But we had fantastic light at Church Cove that made the crashing waves glow and behind them dark brooding clouds. Apart from one guy fishing on the beach we had the place to ourselves.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the church in the dunes is rather photogenic. there's a particularly curious statue near the eastern side of the churchyard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin