Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,330   Posts: 1,537,193   Online: 822

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lizard in June

Shooter
    35mm

Lizard in June

Hello All,

We're camping at the Lizard in June. It'll rain every day, I know it. But just in case the Gods are in a good mood....

Here's a map showing the sun rise / set positions:

Is anyone familiar with the west coast of the Lizard? It seems that the sun will be low over the sea and from a good position I may be able to get a sort of golden cliffs photo. Also interesting rocks out at sea may make nice silhouettes. Where's good along that coast line?

I'll be there for mid summer so a sun rise that morning would be great. I think it might be possible to get an angle out to sea from down near Ruan Minor. Anyone been there?

Thanks,
    Steve.
    Last edited by perkeleellinen; 05-21-2013 at 05:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's almost nowhere that isn't good !

However the areas North and South of Kynance Cove are particularly splendid.

One thing to bear in mind is that the zawns and valleys are very steep sided, and rapidly fall into shadow once the sun starts to dip.

The coast at Ruan is also splendid, but I don't have any particular recommendations.

The Cornish coast as a whole is "very fractal" - this has the effect of making small changes of position have a large effect on the views

I envy you your trip. It should still be pretty quiet in June, and I hope the weather is good for you. The Lizard is a wonder of a place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with all of the above. My favourites are: -

Mullion Cove and Harbour.
    The church on the beach at Church Cove.
    The disused and derelict quarry/quay at Porthkerris.
    The old lifeboat station at Lizard Point.

I tend to develop a bit of a sunrise/set fetish when I'm camping down there! The number of this type of shot I have from Land's End - Penzance - Ruan Minor is countless!

Mullion is particularly nice if the weather is bad - you can get quite close to the cliffs with some very 'bashy' seas.

It's just a beautiful area of the world! Very envious! Enjoy!
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with all the above and add

Porthlevel + coastal path - both North and South
    The costal path south of Mullion Cove
    Coverack
    The Helford River and all its tidal inlets

Your problem assuming the weather gods are smilling is not what to shoot but what to leave out - its a great place to be

Have fun

Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Rain will keep most of the tourists away, strong winds will produce plenty of dramatic surf & breaking waves. Clearing storms in the afternoon will give you scope for lots of shots. If you're heading down there at the end of June, you'll also get a full moon on the 23rd so you can try your hand at night time shots.

Me, I'm heading up to the Lake District in two weeks time in the vain hope that it doesn't rain.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I hope you have a beautiful time and beautiful weather. But while you are there the following is one of the best places to eat: -

http://www.halzephron-inn.co.uk/

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the great tips.

The Inn looks great and I'm happy we'll be there for the full moon. I agree with Martin that the issue is what to leave out, I prefer to focus on a few areas of interest rather than a scatter gun approach - there's always next year. We're lucky that our boy isn't in school yet so we can get away outside of school holidays. This is really a family trip not a photo trip but my wife likes these areas and she's fond of the idea of a picnic on the cliffs as the sun goes down (let's hope she can set up next to my tripod!).

Are there any Neolithic remains close by?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Lizard isn't particularly rich in obviously Neolithic stuff, but head into West Penwith and you'll trip over dozens of site ... Men-an-Tol, Lanyon Quoit, the Merry Maidens, Nine Maidens, Chun Castle to name but a few.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Suggest you Google Trewavas Head for some spectacular clifftop mining remains. If you like that kind of thing, be sure to visit Botallack/Pendeen near St Just (where I enjoyed a very sunny day last weekend!)
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I hope you have a beautiful time and beautiful weather. But while you are there the following is one of the best places to eat: -

http://www.halzephron-inn.co.uk/
    I'll second that! Gunwalloe is quite pretty too... maybe beer goggles though

All these plans of travel make me very envious when I'm stuck inside the lab/office all day!!
    Cheers,

Jim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin