Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,064   Online: 1194

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    127 Format
    A good time was had by all... Great to meet some real people. Shame you couldn't make it Leon.

Frank sugguested Yorkshire in early spring (I think he's learnt that late winter is a bad idea). He as somewhere in mind, so I'll let him start a new thread about it.

I've dev'd one film so far - the second isn't quite finished yet. A few fun shots of the apug gang on there though (Some of them turned out OK even without the polarizer ;-)).

The light was realy funny in the morning - My meter was reading way out, as the sky was so bright, but it wasn't acutually lighting anything up. Just as well I never take any notice of my meter, and most of the exposures came out OK.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Oh! and Les took a picture.
    you mean you didnt manage to lose him this time? We'll have to try harder in the spring

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    you mean you didnt manage to lose him this time? We'll have to try harder in the spring
    What? Just when we've just got him trained to come when he's called!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Woof woof woof!
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Woof woof woof!
    See; came to heel right on cue.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry i went off so early but family required a visit. Still, nice to meet you all. Hopefully I might have an image to show - went to LaCock as well on the way to Mumsey in Burnham on Sea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think Dave did the last narrative so, now that I've semi-recovered from the trip home, I suppose it falls to me to try and sum up this gathering.

Wow, what a weekend!

I think the only way we could possibly improved on it was to have seen Leon's face around the table (you were missed, mate! (I would have got more beer for a start! )). Ben, you were missed too, but I realise that you had more pressing issues to attend to. I hope to meet you on the next time around.

Friday evening saw a few familiar faces around a table at The Inn With The Well in Ogbourne St George. We happened to hit it on the monthly quiz night, but still managed to bellow a good amount of gossip (both photographic and non) across the table. Staying at the Inn were muggins, BobF, Dave Miller and his good lady wife, and an old mate of mine AndyBax (an APUG subscriber, just a bloody quiet one!).

A look outside and upwards told us to have a lie-in (beds patented by Fred and Wilma!) and enjoy the full English breakfast on the Saturday morning, so we did and strolled into Avebury around 9:20. We were greeted by Schlapp (aka Andrea; sorry you had to leave so soon, we didn't really get a chance for a natter!) and her partner, and shortly spotted a character on the skyline with a Gandolfi 5x4. Steve, if you're an APUGger then sorry, I missed your handle. Great meeting you, though!

After that, the morning went to pot as we encountered an itinerant Geordie by the name of McLean. Well... there goes the neighbourhood! You know what he's like... Hogging all the best light. At least he had the common decency to use analogue kit this time...

Peter Hogan, of Precsysol and alkaline chemistry fame, was also in the vicinity, and we actually managed to keep him in sight this time!

127 (Ian) and his good lady wife (Mandy) rolled up soon after, and a good morning's shooting was had by all. If it wasn't trees on the skyline with Jacob's ladder lighting then it was some lovely standing stones. Great stuff. Ian and Mandy seemed to find that shooting us shooting the landscape was more attractive (there's no accounting for taste, but I'm terribly afraid that the APUG membership will soon discover why I like to stand behind cameras! ).

We retired to the Red Lion in Avebury (I recommend the food but not the service!) and Dave and I showed some of our prints. Dave's were very nice indeed (just when I was starting to like him, too...! ).

After lunch, Schlapp and partner departed in one direction whilst Les, Peter and Steve departed in another. The rest of us headed to Devizes and had a very pleasant stroll interspersed with good photo ops alongside the Calne flight of locks.

Did I mention the weather? It was more than making up for Keswick! I nearly got sunburned. In October! (Admittedly, I have more sunroof than most...!)

After a most enjoyable afternoon we decamped back to the Inn where the food was still (mainly) passable but the service had deteriorated still further. However, the company and conversation more than made up for it. I've seldom enjoyed an evening as much and I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that APUGgers are a much more than averagely decent assortment of individuals.

Many thanks, one and all. I had such a good time.

On the Sunday, Dave and his good lady wife and myself headed over to the Crown Monochrome seminar at Trowbridge, meeting Steve, Peter Hogan and that bloody Geordie there.

If you ever get the chance to hear John Blakemore speak, or see any of his prints "in the flesh", then go. Simple as that. What an outstanding and incredibly knowledgeable gentlemen. The prints have to be seen to be believed, but the man himself is... well, a true gentleman.

John Swannell spoke in the afternoon session, and proved to be an almost excessively accomplished photographer and raconteur. Tall tales included nights of drinking with John Hurt, what really happened during royal portrait sessions and where to find nude women by the roadside in Scotland. (Bet you wish you'd been there now, don't you!)

I cut and run at about 5pm, so am unable to confirm whether our own Dave Miller carried off top honours at the competition (he at least made the top 25 of a very thick stack (which is more than I did)). I spent the next five hours on a motorway, avoiding brain dead drivers and attempting (more or less successfully) to keep my spine intact.

Summary? An outstanding weekend, created by the outstanding people who were there. Many, many thanks to all who attended.

I hope to see you all at the next one (thread being created at on a forum near you, soon!)
    Last edited by FrankB; 10-17-2005 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rest assured Frank that if I had “carried off top honours” as you put it; the world and his wife would have heard about it by now. I should mention that another APUGer – Tony Marlow also made it into the last round with a study of two young musicians, so we were well represented. Afraid the competition was just too good, and we crashed out, but never mind, there’s always next year. Maybe by then we will be putting Les’ recent darkroom teachings to good effect, and will be able to raise our printing skills.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp
    Sorry i went off so early but family required a visit. Still, nice to meet you all. Hopefully I might have an image to show - went to LaCock as well on the way to Mumsey in Burnham on Sea.
    Nice to have met you, and hope you can fit in for the planned Spring trip, which is a bit nearer to your home I think.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    127 Format

Photo's

Here are my photo's from the first roll I shot at the weekend... I had a mad printing/scanning session and more or less caught up on my entire summer of negatives. They're just rough prints, and the scans are pretty bad (doesn't help I scanned the wrong versions on a couple of them), but I figured you'd want to see them...

#1 is FrankB - taken during a conversation on the Merit's of the TLR for candid shooting (All photo's taken on my Baby Rollei).

#2 is Andy - he was a lot more cheerfull most of the weekend :-)

#3 is Frank's Mamiya C330 - it would have been Frank AND his camera, but he cunningly took a step back at the last minute, putting himself out of focus!

#4 - Sorry, I don't think I actually got a chance to chat to you (I think you left before Lunch). Anyway, thanks for being in the photo - this is probably my fave shot of the bunch.

#5 is Mandy (Mrs 127)...

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin