Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,871   Online: 1215

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Andrea - Have a word with the landlord - I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that he's into photography himself.

Good point about the prints, Dave. I think my own selection will be a bit sparse (not been printing / shooting much of late - life stuff) but I'll try and bring a couple.

If you're thinking of the Ribblehead(sp?) viaduct, yes I quite fancy that too. ISTR checking it with a sun-position compass a last year and thinking that it would suit an early morning shoot in late spring / early summer, but I may be wrong. (ISTR a pub there too...!)

Leon - Please bring the very high-key print that was in B&WP UK. I thnk it was an alcove in a wall? I really want to see that one in the flesh! I need to have a chat with you about Holgas too...

Aysgarth is good with quite a few locations along the flight to choose from, but it is quite well-known and well-visited so earlier rather than later might be an idea. Some spots are easy access, some are more of a scramble. There's also a picnic area off to one side. Wellies are recommended for pretty much all of the waterfall locations.

Just down the road from there is West Burton / Cauldron Falls which is a really pretty one and with very easy access. (Okay, so I like waterfalls a lot - sue me! )

If we end up with a lot of suggestions then we can put them in a hat on the Friday night and do a lucky dip!

Any more bids?
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB

Leon - Please bring the very high-key print that was in B&WP UK. I thnk it was an alcove in a wall? I really want to see that one in the flesh!
    Happy to Frank, but I'm sure i brought it to the lakes last year ... so maybe you've already seen it?

I need to have a chat with you about Holgas too...
    fine by me, but I think we may to dose Dave up on the cheesecake so he doesnt get too excited by the topic of conversation, holga lover that he is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    Happy to Frank, but I'm sure i brought it to the lakes last year ... so maybe you've already seen it?
    Ahem, you are quite correct (apologies mate, I'm actually typing this in a 2 minute break in a training session I'm giving! I'm a bit bammered!) - however I actually would like the opportunity to bask in its glow once more!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    fine by me, but I think we may to dose Dave up on the cheesecake so he doesnt get too excited by the topic of conversation, holga lover that he is.
    One of the nice things about the Green Dragon is that the pub's interior is made up of a number of smallish rooms, so we should be able to mingle or split into subgroups and remerge as we please.

Hopefully we should be able to have a natter re all things plastic without raising Dave's ire. He's not a pretty sight with his dander up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few suggestions for photo opportunities, roughly in order of distance from the pub

Mill Gill, Askrigg - a fine waterfall and deep limestone gorge
    Askrigg itself - village made famous in the James Herriot TV series
    Semerwater - a sizeable lake and an old ruined chapel
    Aysgarth Falls - often busy though
    Keld, Swaledale - several good waterfalls in the area, plus Crackpot Hall, a ruined farmhouse with the finest view in the Dales (allegedly!)
    Snaizeholme - good for wildlife including red squirrels
    Ribblehead - the viaduct, limestone pavements nearby, and a really nice little packhorse bridge crossing an interesting limestone gorge
    Gunnerside Gill - lead mining remains
    Langstrothdale and Cray Gill - river scenery and falls
    And not forgetting Fountains Abbey, although it's a bit of a treck

Last but not least, Hardraw Force, England's highest unbroken waterfall, in the pub grounds :-)

Regards
    Richard

PS - check out my web site www.dalesphoto.co.uk for some more ideas (almost all in colour though!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Congratulations Richard!

You've just been elected our official APUG 2006 UK Gathering Tour Guide!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We hope to arrive between 10 and 11 on Saturday morning - leave us a message where we can meet people!!

Ansgar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations Richard!

You've just been elected our official APUG 2006 UK Gathering Tour Guide!
    I'll point them out on the map but I'm not going to use the PA in the coach!

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Everyone, I'll be there too. My better half and I will be staying in Hawes at an hotel we've stayed at several times before (The Stonehouse). We'll come along on the Friday evening. Has The Greendragon got a good supply of malts? Being a Jock I do like to partake, only a wee one though!!! See you all in a few weeks
    Eric, Otherwise known a Smudge.
    Born again photographer!!!!! Looking for inspiration

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Richard (or anyone who knows the area) can you suggest a rally point where we can meet up with those arriving on the Saturday morning?

The point should:

- be easy to find, well signposted, etc.
    - have a reasonable amount of car parking
    - have something at which people can point cameras while we wait

Off the top of my head (a sparse environment at the best of times) I can think of:

- The Ribblehead Viaduct (car parking, a whopping great viaduct and a pub)
    - Aysgarth Falls (car parking a bit up the (steep) road, a picnic area and a good falls, a pub near the car park, falls might be a bit busy...)
    - Cauldron / West Burton Falls (limited car parking, a good falls, pubs nearby, might be a bit fiddly for some to find as the signs peter out once you get to the village)
    - The Green Dragon (the lazy man's "I'm out of bed and dressed, what more do you want?!" choice, car parking around and about Hardraw village, spout-type falls at the bottom of the garden, it is a pub!)

Other suggestions most welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Off the top of my head (a sparse environment at the best of times) I can think of:

- The Ribblehead Viaduct (car parking, a whopping great viaduct and a pub)
    - Aysgarth Falls (car parking a bit up the (steep) road, a picnic area and a good falls, a pub near the car park, falls might be a bit busy...)
    - Cauldron / West Burton Falls (limited car parking, a good falls, pubs nearby, might be a bit fiddly for some to find as the signs peter out once you get to the village)
    - The Green Dragon (the lazy man's "I'm out of bed and dressed, what more do you want?!" choice, car parking around and about Hardraw village, spout-type falls at the bottom of the garden, it is a pub!)

Other suggestions most welcome!
    I wouldn't recommend Cauldron Falls or Aysgarth as there's not a great deal to do apart from the falls, and Cauldron falls isn't easy to find. I know some of us can spend all day on one fall of course, but it mightn't be everyone's cup of tea!

Ribblehead is easy to find, and there's plenty of parking although it does fill up early with walkers. There's the viaduct, caves, water features and limestone pavement within easy reach. And the Three Peaks. And a good pub that's open all day. The only downside is it's half an hour or so from Hardraw.

Hardraw itself is as good a place as any as nobody should get lost! The pub grounds have the waterfall and plenty of woodlands and rocks and things, and there's the church and river nearby. If the weather carries on as it has the last few days the waterfall will be worth seeing ...

I'd suggest either of those. What sort of photography do the majority want to do? We could split into groups according to taste.

I'm away from this afternoon (Wed) till Monday night so won't be able to offer any further hints till then.

Regards
    Richard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin