Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,691   Online: 742

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

APUG UK Spring 2006 gathering

any thoughts - maybe somewhere in the middle this time?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Frankb has an idea for a venue in the Dales.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    127 Format
    I'll second Yorkshire...

It's a bit if a trek for me, but I love Yorkshire. Frank said there was cheap and good accomodation.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    that sounds good to me - I've only ever passed through the Dales so somewhere new to explore would be good.

Will there be stones there? not sure if I can go if there arent any - or maybe I could bring some of my own

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only water-worn rocks; too damp to hug, but photogenic.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Blimey, you lot are keen!

Okay, the place I thought of was here, the Green Dragon in Hardraw, Upper Wendsleydale, Yorkshire. I've been there a few times in search of waterfalls (there's one at the bottom of the garden!) and to cover my sister's band (shameless plug!) at their folk festival.

The food is good, the beer is very good, the female bar staff generally meets a high standard of aesthetic acceptability(!) and they do B&B at £25 per night and self catering at £20 per night (or they used to, the prices seem to have recently disappeared from the site). Also the pub is split into a series of smallish rooms, so we can keep ourselves to ourselves, should we so choose.

There has been a request that we make the Gathering in either late March or early April (so we don't emulate brass monkeys like we did at Castlerigg!).

The Dales are a stunning environment for landscape shooters. The number of waterfalls borders on the embarrassing (I know a of website that claims to list the top 30 in the area!), dry-stone walls are ten-a-penny... You get the general idea.

So what do you reckon?
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds good. Anyone with local knowledge of the Dales able to aid our venue selection?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    sounds excellent ... as long as we can avoid the few days around the 18th march. That's my 1st wedding anniversary and I'm sure "the wife" wouldnt be overly happy about spending it with a load of fixer-addicts - not that I'd mind of course

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Sounds good. Anyone with local knowledge of the Dales able to aid our venue selection?
    Here's thirty, for a start (ignore the photos though, anyone with half a clue could do better in their sleep! :rolleyes: ) - http://www.walkingenglishman.com/dal...lls/master.htm

And, for anyone travelling via the M6 J37, here's another (like it or not, let's not go there again!) - http://www.natwindpower.co.uk/lambrigg/
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks good. (I can hear the chuckles from here of our N. American friends if they see the picture of "England's highest waterfall")... Looks like a good selection of accommodation, so as long as we miss Easter (14-17th April), we should have no problems getting in at that time of year.

Cheers, Bob.

P.S. If we are going to the Dales, I wanna shoot a stunted tree in a limestone pavement...

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin