Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 757

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why don't those of you who don't subscribe consider entering a few pictures for next years edition of Best of Friends. I think that there is a small charge for non-subscribers, but it isn't much.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Thought that I should give AREM a plug on account of exemplary service received. I ordered a batch of printing paper from them via their web site AREM on Saturday evening the 3rd Dec, and it was delivered this morning, Tuesday 6th Dec. That’s good service by any standards, and very competitive prices to boot. :o
    Dave. Just seen your latest post. Was then able to check the site. Looks pretty good. I've added it to my favourites. Thanks

P.S. I have just got a secondhand Ilford safelight 902 today. I notice that you mentioned having this in a thread on safelights. Found it pretty good. I noted that the notice on the back mentioned a 25W bulb but inside there's a sticker saying 15W max. Not sure this is an Ilford sticker. It looks like the standard silvered coloured oval you seen on all table lamps.The bulb is in fact 15W. You might say if 15W is Ok then why risk 25W. On the other hand I am all for max illumination permissible. What do you use? The filter looks which is substantial and thick looks as if it could take a 25W and still wouldn't wear out unlike the Durst Tricolor lamp filter which I have. This was giving me the very minimum safe limit when tested.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Ilford safe light is the model that has a glass back and front, the larger glass being 12" x 10". The unit is designed to be hung from the ceiling, although mine sitts on a shelf. I give the size because I think Ilford marketed a range of sizes, and the"902" refers to the filter type. I use a 15w lamp in mine, because I have a small room. It is certainly marked as able to take a 25w lamp. The important point with any safe light is to do a fogging test with your paper, Ilford publish a useful information sheet on the web that covers this. During testing mine showed no signs of fogging after 15 minutes, which is plenty long enough for me since I do all my processing in a drum. I should mention that the light is connected via my enlarger timer so that it goes off during exposure, if it didn't I would not be able to see the image on the baseboard. Hope that helps. Les Mclean uses two of the same fittings in his workshop, and I think he said he uses 25w lamps in his; it is certaily very bright, and good for a similar time to mine. Anyway it is the testing that is the most important thing - safe lights are not safe for long, no matter which one you use.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've just checked the Ilford site and see the the model ref of my safelight is: DL20.
    Safelight

Details of testing are on that page.
    Last edited by Dave Miller; 12-10-2005 at 04:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Yes, Arem are great. For those who don't know it, Roger Maile the founder started up Creative Monochrome as a bastion of Wet bench monochrome. Because of the market he, perforce had to 'go digital' as well. Roger produces a bi-monthly magazine called 'Mono' as well a as booke, mostly devoted to monochrome images. Another very good supplier is Focal Point in Exeter. Chas, the owner always has trad stuff in stock and will always get anything for you pretty quickly. Focal Point's tel no. is 01392 495445 e-mail address:focalpoint@eclipse.co.uk and web page is: www.focalpointphotographic.co.uk All the best, pyrometol

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrometol
    Yes, Arem are great. For those who don't know it, Roger Maile the founder started up Creative Monochrome as a bastion of Wet bench monochrome. Because of the market he, perforce had to 'go digital' as well. Roger produces a bi-monthly magazine called 'Mono' as well a as booke, mostly devoted to monochrome images. Another very good supplier is Focal Point in Exeter. Chas, the owner always has trad stuff in stock and will always get anything for you pretty quickly. Focal Point's tel no. is 01392 495445 e-mail address:focalpoint@eclipse.co.uk and web page is: www.focalpointphotographic.co.uk All the best, pyrometol
    Thanks. It's always useful to be able to bookmark another trad retailer. One thing I found curious is that he is selling a box of Kentmere VC Select 10 x 8 100 sheets for £18.07 and a roll of 20 inch x 33ft for £19.46. If my maths are correct this amounts to 50 strips of 8 inch wide paper which are 20 inches long. Cut into two strips each of 10 inches this is 100 sheets of 8 x 10 at £19.46. So an uncut roll is £1.39 more expensive than a box. I'd have expected it to be the other way round. Usually rolls are cheaper.

As you seem to know the proprietor, I just wondered if you knew of the reason for this.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Anything under £25 is very good value for 100 sheets of 10x8 R/C.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Anything under £25 is very good value for 100 sheets of 10x8 R/C.
    Dave. Yes, quite true but just curious as to the economic rationale why roll is more expensive. Both prices have got Nova beat at £20 but only just and of course I may be comparing apples and pears as Nova's price is for Ilford Multigrade IV.

Anyone care to comment on what differences I am likely to see if I were to try a box of VC Select compared to Ilford which I am very happy with.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser
    Dave. Yes, quite true but just curious as to the economic rationale why roll is more expensive. Both prices have got Nova beat at £20 but only just and of course I may be comparing apples and pears as Nova's price is for Ilford Multigrade IV.

Anyone care to comment on what differences I am likely to see if I were to try a box of VC Select compared to Ilford which I am very happy with.

pentaxuser
    Two points; I notice that they are quoting VAT free pricess for some reason, which is misleading, and they don't give postage cost; so not quite as cheap as at first sight. As for Kentmere VC against Ilford R/C there is little difference with the gloss, Kentmere is about half a stop faster, but in appearance I doubt if you will notice the difference. Other types and finishes do vary quite a bit however, and are worth trying.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boxes of 100 sheets of 8x10 are normally sold at a discount over other sizes and smaller quantities, hence they may well be cheaper per square foot than rolls. Other size sheets will generally cost more per square foot when bought ready cut and packed.

Cheers, Bob.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin