Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,500   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Rob -

Anytime in Oct is good with me, but bear in mind that one week is half term so probably best avoided.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rob,
    I think that one thing that would greatly improve our enjoyment of these events would to select a venue with a private meeting room that we could hire. It shouldn’t cost more than the price of a pint each, and would mean that we will be able to converse, without resorting to shouting. The addition of decent lighting would help with the print viewing, but I’m sure that we can arrange that. What do you others think?
    As for timing, I favour late September.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    actually late sept is better for me too

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great idea about the meeting room, Dave.

Rob, if you're looking for accommodation then plenty of rooms, lowish prices, good food and ale and a proximity to good photographic locations are the key factors (IMO).

I'd prefer Oct to Sep given my druthers, but can probably do either one.

I'm starting to look forward to this one already and I haven't processed my films from the last one yet!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been doing some research and come up with a possible venue. I was thinking of 'The Lifeboat Inn' at Thornham. It's right on the coast next to a creek full of old fishing boats, about a mile from vast beaches backed by sand dunes. I've stayed there myself a few times although it's quite a bit more expensive than the Green Dragon. (Unfortunately all the pubs in North West Norfolk tend to be expensive places to stay, but they're good) The food is excellent as is the beer and they can even serve breakfast before 9 on a saturday! They have several rooms including a 'snug' which will fit about 20 in which we can book if we're eating there.

If it's too expensive I'll look again. Alternatively there's loads of B&Bs in the area.

www.lifeboatinn.co.uk

www.visitnorfolk.co.uk

As for dates I can make any weekend from mid-september except the last 2 weekends in October (Although That's 1/2 term and the evenings will be getting shorter by then anyway)

Let's have your thoughts!

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like to participate. Late September/Early October is good for me. I can't make the weekend of the 21/22 October.

Do we need some sort of vote on the date?

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    78 quid a night for the Lifeboat Inn is a bit steep for my blood - I could rent a two bed cottage for an entire week for the cost of a weekend there

Suitable pub-based accommodation does seem surprisingly thin on the ground. There does not seem to be many pubs with more than two or three rooms. May need to use an hotel or B&B - sacrilege I know, but needs must... Still, as long as it has a licence...

Do we know where we will be based and what we will be visiting? Until then, it's not much point looking for accommodation. Looking at the map, all roads lead from Norwich, but you could end up driving 30 miles to Southwold for example so for one weekend, probably best to concentrate on one corner?

As usual, I can probably make any date.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Norfolk can take a surprisingly long time to get around. For example, Norwich to Holkham beach can take around 75 minutes easily.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The tariff does seem a bit steep. It's more than 2x the cost at the Dragon. (Mind you, maybe the breakfast isn't self-service!).

Can I bagsey the second room of that cottage, Bob?
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree the lifeboat is a bit pricey (it is seriously nice, though!). Thier other place, The Old Coach House 1/2 mile down the road is about £10 cheaper. It may be that we arrange our own accomodation to suit our pocket and meet up for the evenings? The other possibility is the Youth Hostel at Wells. It's cheap, Clean and does breakfast.

I'll keep looking

Rob

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin