Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,720   Online: 824

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm on holiday, and completly overdosed on cheesecake.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    <bump> Warning - Dates in calendar are closer than they appear!

Any more thoughts?

The stumbling block on this one seems to be finding a base point which -

a) is fairly affordable
    b) is reasonably comfortable
    c) has good food and ale on site (a photographer marches on his/her stomach (I keep tripping over mine...!))
    d) has an area (preferably reasonably quiet and smoke-free) where we can sit around and chat / show prints in the evenings before staggering off and falling into bed.
    e) can fit most of us in
    f) is a brisk walk / drive from some photogenic locations
    g) serves cheesecake...

It's not that we're picky. In the past we've braved extreme weather, ferocious ducks and thronging bikers! Is there such a place in all of Norfolk or should we (reluctantly!) look elsewhere?

What about some of these?

9 rooms £35-£65 http://www.yaxhammill.com/
    8 rooms £60-£80 http://www.lottiesrestaurant.co.uk/
    11 rooms £25-£60 http://www.theaa.com/hotels/103699.html

The top one looks promising...
    Last edited by FrankB; 07-24-2006 at 04:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    <bump> Warning - Dates in calendar are closer than they appear!

Any more thoughts?

The stumbling block on this one seems to be finding a base point which -

a) is fairly affordable
    b) is reasonably comfortable
    c) has good food and ale on site (a photographer marches on his/her stomach (I keep tripping over mine...!))
    d) has an area (preferably reasonably quiet and smoke-free) where we can sit around and chat / show prints in the evenings before staggering off and falling into bed.
    e) can fit most of us in
    f) is a brisk walk / drive from some photogenic locations
    g) serves cheesecake...

It's not that we're picky. In the past we've braved extreme weather, ferocious ducks and thronging bikers! Is there such a place in all of Norfolk or should we (reluctantly!) look elsewhere?

As you say Frank, time is marching. Any local knowledge on these venues?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I had a ride out to Dereham today and had lunch at the Yaxham Mill. It's really nice - several separate rooms in the bar/restaurant, good ,reasonably priced food (although I didn't see cheesecake on the menu!) and excellent beer. Accomodation prices are a bit more than we paid in Yorkshire, but we may be able to negotiate a discount. The rooms look very nice including the option of staying at the top of the old windmill (for a few more bucks I expect!). It's in the middle of open countryside about 30 minutes drive from the best bits of the coast. I also had a look into the one in Shipdham on the way back. It's OK but not quite as pleasant as The Mill. Do we want to go with this and start looking at dates or shall I continue the 'research'?

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the effort Rob.

Some questions. Has the Yaxham Mill got a function room that we can hire? If so it looks like it will suit our needs. The Pound Green Hotel, SHIPDHAM does have a function room, and seems a little cheaper, and has more rooms. I agree that it doesn't look so nice, but that may not be so important, especially if they do reasonable food. Does anyone else have local knowledge of this one to add to the debate?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    Thanks for the effort Rob.

Some questions. Has the Yaxham Mill got a function room that we can hire? If so it looks like it will suit our needs. The Pounds Green Hotel, SHIPDHAM does have a function room, and seems a little cheaper, and has more rooms. I agree that it doesn't look so nice, but that may not be so important, especially if they do reasonable food. Does anyone else have local knowledge of this one to add to the debate?
    No, Yaxham Mill doesn't have a funtion room per se. The bar/restaurant are is split into 3 sections. I reckon we could fit about 30 into the back bit at a push - I suppose it depends on how many want to come. I'll get in touch with the Pounds Green hotel and see what the terms for the function room are.

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good work Rob! It looks like we've got a couple of good options there.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've tried in vain to get hold of the Pound Green Hotel, at Shipdham re their function room.- no-one answers the phone. It also seems to have disappeared from the AA listing! I'll keep trying but I'm away after Thursday this week. I spoke to the guy at Yaxham mill and he said if a group of us booked under the same name (APUG?) he would give us a 10% discount. Although it hasn't got a function room the restaurant is divided into sections. It will probably be a lot quieter than the Green Dragon on the Saturday night - I didn't notice anyone drinking from a cows-horn either! I suppose it depends how many of us want to go - I count 15 interested so far.

So I think we need to either plump for this one or keep looking but time's getting a bit short - 2 months.

As for dates I can make any one in September except 29/30th and any in October except 21/22nd - after that I think the days may be getting a bit short.

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I dont think I'm going to be able to make an autumn meet up now. I may be able to, but best not to count me in for now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Archer
    I've tried in vain to get hold of the Pound Green Hotel, at Shipdham re their function room.- no-one answers the phone. It also seems to have disappeared from the AA listing! I'll keep trying but I'm away after Thursday this week. I spoke to the guy at Yaxham mill and he said if a group of us booked under the same name (APUG?) he would give us a 10% discount. Although it hasn't got a function room the restaurant is divided into sections. It will probably be a lot quieter than the Green Dragon on the Saturday night - I didn't notice anyone drinking from a cows-horn either! I suppose it depends how many of us want to go - I count 15 interested so far.

So I think we need to either plump for this one or keep looking but time's getting a bit short - 2 months.

As for dates I can make any one in September except 29/30th and any in October except 21/22nd - after that I think the days may be getting a bit short.

Rob
    Looks like it's got to be Yaxham Mill then Rob, unless anyone replies with an alternative, as you say time is short.
    As for dates I am already booked for the 9/10 Sept, and 14/15 Oct.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin