Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 817

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My {former} local branch of Jessops in Salisbury did bother to stock film and darkroom products-not a great selection of paper and chemistry but at least they did keep 5x4 Ilford b+w film in stock and try to employ staff other than spotty youths:you know the sort, like the one who works at the drivethru burger place in the Simpsons. Stargazer-haven't been in the New Oxford St branch for a couple of years or so but they did keep a good selection of stuff there and employ some reasonably knowledgeable staff who weren't all like the Simpsons guy.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh blimey, the threads that come back to haunt you... I thought this one was dead and buried!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Well this was from their UK site on the homepage "why go digital?":

"Digital photography doesn't use the toxic chemicals that often end up flowing down the drain and into our streams, rivers, and lakes"

If anything write to them and ask how e-waste is great for the environment & why they assume we improperly dispose of the toxic stuff.. :rolleyes:
    Ta Sean, I wasn't quite depressed enough at turning 39 today and being down with a virus as well. I'll just pop off and slit my wrists... :rolleyes:

I went into my local Jessops a week or two back to pick up some a bottle of Ilford fixer and another of Ilfostop. (I had to phone up and order them and the gerbil I spoke to had no clue what I was on about...!) I walked past the shelves of PC World and Halfords stock and was attended to by one of the longer-serving members of staff.

As I paid I noticed a couple of bottles of chems, a pack or so of B&W paper and a couple of film clips on view under the counter. I pointed them out and said, "It's nice to see you still sell photographic products!"

The chap grinned and said, "Yes! We're not supposed to have any on display but we keep a few out so people will know we know what we're talking about!"

Says it all, really...
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like most others I gave up on Jessops years ago and I care about their future probably as much as they cared about meeting my needs. However increasingly the supply of photographic equipment won't support High Street overheads and so its kind of understandable that they need to sell things with a lower technical content (Most Jessops staff don't know much about photography anyway) and TVs and Sat Nav are brown box sales that are possibly better understood by the sort of staff they seem to attract.

However instead of competing mainly against the telephone/internet for sales, Jessops will now have to learn to fight some very serious retailers as well. I do wonder what they are bringing to bear that will enable them to compete successfully. If I had any Jessops shares I think I'd be tempted to sell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hoes it goin jonconkey?

Jessops never did cater for the serious photographer. When I worked there, you would get the occasional camera-club guy wandering in, yet the club would never place a bulk order. So it's a case of the photographers turning their backs on Jessops.

Jessops are my only source for large quantites of chemicals, I wouldn't dream of paying for the posting of heavy containers. So as long as they have a warehouse I'm happy.

All their fridges have gone, so I'll just have to keep a large supply of film in case I run out!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Reminds me of the old song, a line of which is "I talk to the trees but they never listen to me". About the same chance with Jessops. Alas song lyrics always give away one's age.
    pentaxuser
    Or, to quote the version of the song from the Goon Show:
    "I talk to the trees, that's why they put me away......"

I'm afraid that I'm in the group that already regards Jessops as a lost cause.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, reading this thread just ade me so angry...

It's comparable to when gillette started on whole disposable razor thing decades back, straights became dangerous (they're not unless you're foolish) and everyone started buying a cartridge few times a week.

Shooter
    35mm
    And nothing changes......

I wanted some B&W 120 film last weekend as I'd forgotten to take some on a day out, so knowing that Shrewsbury has two Jessops off I went in search of 120 film.
    In the first branch, on a Saturday afternoon there was one person working and he was crawling all over some blond girl who was printing her holiday pictures at the machine. I looked everywhere for film, saw a few rolls of 35mm behind the counter, and waited for the assistant to come in the hope they had some 120 somewhere else. And I waited......then I left.
    The second Jessops. I asked the young girl in a polite manner "do you have 120 roll film, preferably black and white ?" The expression on her face was not good, stunned was the best description. But gamely she reached to the shelf behind her and offered me a roll of Kodak Gold 35mm, "No, that's not it" I told her. Once again she reached to the shelf and proffered a roll of XP2 in 35mm. "No, I'm after 120 roll film" I explained again. "Well there is only two types of film made, colour and black and white, and that's all there is" she said, pointing at the half dozen rolls on the shelf.

I didn't get any film in the end, and Jessops will never see me through their doors again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    With some many companies relying on D&P you do wonder why a lot of companies didn't do more to keep that going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Judging by the comments I've had from staff at my local Jessops those that do appreciate film photography exists shop elsewhere themselves.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    A comical experience with their Hereford branch...

Went in after seeing an "instant studio kit" with two spots/tripods/umbrellas/softboxes in the window.

The wally behind the counter essentially says "We only have that one and I can't sell it to you because it's the last one and there's a bit missing".

So why have you got it on display with a price tag then?!? That could have been an opportunity to make a few quid by saying "Well there's a bit missing, but I can let you have it for a bit less than marked price".

Went to Melgray round the corner. They had one left and were quite happy to sell it. Got the impression they knew exactly where I was on about when I mentioned my experiences in another shop...

As for the nonsense about "dangerous chemicals", what do they think the non-rechargeable batteries they sell for digital cameras contain? It just fits with the current vogue for using the green bandwagon to sell new stuff rather than actually doing anything useful (like recycling - I don't want to recycle broken cameras, I want to be able to get spares and fix them!)

Jessops would do well to heed the warning of Beatties. This was a successful chain of model shops until the early 2000s, at which point they attempted to break into the already saturated computer game market. They went under pretty shortly after. Jessops seem to be losing what made them different to Argos, Comet, etc - there is now no reason to go there other than if they have the lowest price.
    Matt

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin