Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,184   Online: 854

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloydy View Post
    "Well there is only two types of film made, colour and black and white, and that's all there is" she said, pointing at the half dozen rolls on the shelf.

I didn't get any film in the end,
    SHE should have!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    May I suggest leaving a comment on their Facebook page?

Shooter
    35mm
    My feeling is that people should support London Camera Exchange ( LCE )

They are into photography. That's all they do pretty much. It is a privately owned family business running for some 60 years. They have a good secondhand section and from personal experience I know that in store you will find a lot more S/H kit than appears on their website, especially in the bigger towns. And some of their stores, not all, carry stock of commonly used materials/sizes including fibre based papers. These tend to be in towns/cities with colleges running photography courses. Worth checking out their site at link above and read their about us page to see if thats what you can reasonably expect to hear in todays market. And of course they will order materials for you and if the demand is there they will stock it on a store by store basis. i.e. each store decides what it stocks according to demand and not waht is dictated from on high as with jessops

Jessops is a lost cause. Sure they have far more stores but that counts for nothing if they don't carry stock and their staff don't know anything about photography. I have always found LCE staff to be knowlegeable about photography.

p.s. I have no affiliation to LCE whatsoever. I just find them to be a real photographers shop whereas Jessops has lost that and become an electrical goods store.
    Last edited by litody; 11-07-2012 at 08:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    LCE is a company that I've never dealt with, but always seem to get good comments from those that do. And at the moment they seem to have the best deal on the Pentax K30. Most dealers have reduced it by £130 from list and are all selling it for the same price, but LCE have knocked another 20quid off as well. I shall probably put my hand in my wallet in the next day or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LCE always have a good range of reasonably priced second hand equipmet in my local (Worcester) store. Jessops are jut getting more expensive and I prefer not to use them.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    When I started out in photography, Dixons was an up and coming company with a good spread of shops countrywide but they didn't try to buy out all the competition with the exception of Wallace Heaton in London. Then they expanded and as they did so their standards began to drop and drop, faster than a free fall parachutist. Look at what remains of them now. Absorbed by Curry's an almost a forgotten entity. Jessops will go the same way or disappear completely in a few years. Will they be missed? not by me they won't.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this thread is over 6 years old!
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    this thread is over 6 years old!
    And in those 6 years the UK's largest & monopolistic chain of Photo stores has sunk to even lower levels. I knew their Chairman 10 years ago through work and the company had a great attitude at that time, were cost competetive and would get you anything. Not now, he left after doing what was asked of him but subsequent poor management has dragged it into the mire and it's gone bust twice. Ironically they still have some good staff.

That's why this thread gets resurrected.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Still see no one else has commented on their Facebook page.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Still see no one else has commented on their Facebook page.
    Of course not. You would have to click on 'Like' first, then all of your friends would see that you liked them!

Steve.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin