Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,516   Online: 1102

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Who will be at Focus at the NEC? I'm planning on being there Sunday and Monday, barring mishap.

Cheers,

R.
    I'm planning to be there on the Monday.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    I'm planning to be there on the Monday.
    I'll be there sunday, monday - and possibly for the duration - at Ilford stand
    Tim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
    I have to agree with Mike. I've been the previous 2 years and you do have to look harder to find to find non-digi products. One tip is to take a packed lunch and take a break outside the hall.
    Good idea about the lunch.

I had a thought about last year and it perhaps wasn't that bad but as David said you do have to look hard. If you're after a new tripod, bag etc then there's just about every item there on the market. Robert White were there last year so if you're into RF or large format you can spend a while chatting to them. I've got a V/L Bessa R2 so it was interesting looking at the newer Bessas and the 1:1 viewfinder. I stocked up on chemicals from Fotospeed. Arempublishing had a lot for analogue photogs so I brought a load of paper and the new Ilford developers, but sadly they've gone bust so won't be there this year. Mr Cad had some interesting second hand/"junk" on their stand!

Admittedly, there are rows of stands dedicated to wedding and portrait photogs, plus loads of stuff for digi and lens fondler's but still an interesting day out. A word of advice though, get there early it gets quite crowded by lunchtime.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm hoping to be there on the Monday. Shan't be doing too much lens fondling though.

One thing I find odd is how many people come to the show with HUGE bags of kit. It's not like there's much to photograph. Perhaps taking tons of gear is viewed by some as a sort of badge of office.
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Panoramic chrysotypes will be on exhibition throughout the week at stand E70 - Siderotype.com - also cyanotypes and the new books by Mike Ware - Please stop by for a chat and introduce yourself as an APUG subscriber!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 4 hour each way train ride put me off. That line must take a very indirect route.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    The 4 hour each way train ride put me off. That line must take a very indirect route.

Tom.
    Same thing happens by road: you see NEC direction signs on the M40 and you think: "Oh goody - nearly there". Ha! You still find yourself passing "NEC This Way" signs several hours later...

The NEC exists in a space/time continuum all of its own. Professor Rincewind of Unseen Uni. has shown that, as mass = energy and that energy = heat, and as a sodding great stonking amount of heat is generated when people find out how much it costs them to park at least a mile away from the actual exhibition halls in the freezing, soul-sapping Midlands drizzle, the gravitational force generated by all those overheated, irritated brains reaches a critical mass, causing the surrounding area to collapse in on itself with an event-horizon encompassing the entire Birmingham metropolitan area (which, in itself, explains a great deal about Birmingham that is otherwise inexplicable).

Hence the long train journey.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for that Bob; I wondered why I wasn't going.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called into Mr Cad yesterday. He said that he has pulled out of Focus this year for the first time since it started. He implied that the people now visiting Focus were not the type of customer interested in his type of photography.

I don't see Robert White on the exhibitors list.

Barry

Shooter
    35mm
    I had toyed with the idea of going, but fighting through the melee of digi-fondlers to say hi to the Ilford team and visit a few other stands just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Oh, but I've just found out that David Ward will doing an intro to LF courtesy of BJP magazine... no, that's something I really can't try just now! PDF - talks at The Hub, stand Q20. The Focus website has a PDF floorpland and list of exhibitors.

Anyone arriving by car might like to consider the following note on the Focus website:

"The NEC charge £7 for car parking" <gulp!>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin