Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,810   Online: 1065

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbb View Post
    It's a storm in a tea cup. The whole E-petition thing is a joke and rightly ignored by most in government. The one that has attracted the most publicity can't even scrap together 2% of the population to get involved
    I can only speak for the case of Japan: Yes, online petition is a joke. It doesn't really affect anything substantial.

People hit streets for real change, not sit in front of a computer and click on the screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there should be a ban on children in public, it would solve many problems.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nearly got you Frank

Now a tax on cheesecake would raise a few hackles here!

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    People hit streets for real change, not sit in front of a computer and click on the screen.
    Not in modern Britain. The British public are now so dumbed down and complacent that they are more likely to demonstrate over a fixed X-Factor result than they are over something that actually matters.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A little horror story from almost a decade ago:

Polaroid gave me a LOT of outdated Polaroid Sepia, because they knew I loved it and they could hardly sell it past date.

I was down at the sea-front in winter, taking hand-held pics with an MPP: I lived 70 yards from the sea. Three teenage girls drifted by. "Take our photo!"

So I did, and gave them prints, and on the back of a scrap print I wrote my name, address and phone number and said, "If you parents what to know who I am, and why I'm doing this, they can call me." I'd already explained that it was free film and I was just playing with it.

Half an hour later, the police came round: a young policewoman. We showed her a stack of our books -- twenty or thirty published works on general photography, with my name on the cover -- and she sniffed, and said, "Huh. An opportunist photographer."

In other words, there was already a strange paranoia abroad in the UK, and ordinary, decent, normal human behaviour counted for nothing, including an attempt to set the parents' minds at rest. One phone call from any of the girls' parents would have cleared up the whole matter in seconds, and I have to say that in their situation, I'd probably have called to check what the girls were saying. But no. CALL THE POLICE.

People get the government, the police and the laws that they ask for.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    A little horror story from almost a decade ago:

People get the government, the police and the laws that they ask for.

Cheers,

R.
    I would think that this is like a fly to the trout, O.K I'll rise to it.
    U.K Government has, for a few years, been elected on a minority of the population on a first past the post system and for a term of up to five years inn office.
    So, it seems that what we get is a Government that some ask for and laws we hardly know about until it's too late. Sad, really.
    Regards
    John

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjonho View Post
    ...what we get is a Government that some ask for and laws we hardly know about until it's too late. Sad, really.
    Regards
    John
    Dear John,

I'd not argue with that, but what I was suggesting is that the government, police and laws we get are consequences of the loony paranoid zeitgeist, i.e, that all are a symptom of the same thing, driven to a large extent by the red-top gutter press.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    Nearly got you Frank

Now a tax on cheesecake would raise a few hackles here!

Barry
    Wow, that gave me a fright. Ban photography if you want, but hands off cheesecake.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear John,

I'd not argue with that, but what I was suggesting is that the government, police and laws we get are consequences of the loony paranoid zeitgeist, i.e, that all are a symptom of the same thing, driven to a large extent by the red-top gutter press.

Cheers,

R.
    Not just the red tops. The majority of the British press are guilty of fuelling the hysteria. Even the TV news companies are guilty.

During the recent bird flu outbreak in Norfolk the BBC sent one of their golden girl reporters (Natashia Krapsky I think it was) to interview local people. She was most put out when no-one she spoke to showed any signs of panic, and was resorting to ever more loaded questions to try for a reaction.
    Last edited by Andy K; 02-20-2007 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe this helps us uderstand the current trend on the security/surveillance issues among the most technologically advanced countries:

AMY GOODMAN: Why did you focus on this as a human rights lawyer?

MAUREEN WEBB: Well, I think it’s one of the less-examined aspects of the war on terror, and I’m co-chair for a Canadian coalition of civil society groups called the International Civil Liberties Monitoring Group. And in 2004, we brought some of the major NGOs working on these issues from around the world: ACLU in the United States, Statewatch in Europe, Focus on the Global South in Asia. And we wanted to look for common patterns that were happening in our countries and see if there was any way that we could collaborate.

And what we identified was that there were all of these surveillance initiatives that were being introduced, many of them through international forums like the G8, and that all of our governments seem to be working towards this common goal, but that these initiatives tended to be reported very disparately in the media, and nobody had really connected the dots. We thought it was important, because it’s really one of the more insidious aspects of the war on terror. It will have long-term effects on our democratic societies and democratic movements around the world.

http://www.democracynow.org/article..../02/20/1523257

I think the case in UK as well as other concerned nations are set on the agenda of mass-profiling. In this context, the 'photography ban' seems to provide an unconstitutional limit to us, rather than a privilege. And I wonder who wants to give away their rights to the authorities and certain private business sectors that their governments associate with.

These businesses are going after our personal information because whether it's good infromation or not, it makes profits as they create our profiles, and that could be totally off based, incorrent, inaccurate of our indentities and presentations.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin