Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,487   Online: 899

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photography Ban in Public Places

Guys and Girls

I know no more than is copied below!

I think that it is in everyone's interest to sign up to this. Looks like Government are trying to stop us taking any images in public places according to this!!! There's a petition on the Downing St website against the Government's proposals to restrict the use of photography in public areas. Sign up to the petition now......

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Photography/

Cheers, Carl

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlRadford View Post
    Guys and Girls

I know no more than is copied below!

I think that it is in everyone's interest to sign up to this. Looks like Government are trying to stop us taking any images in public places according to this!!! There's a petition on the Downing St website against the Government's proposals to restrict the use of photography in public areas. Sign up to the petition now......

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Photography/

Cheers, Carl
    On the face of it another Loony Labour plan.
    Personally, I'd want to know more details than appear on the government website before getting too excited one way or the other, ie what constitutes a public place - Dartmoor? my street?. Also, what constitutes a "photographer" - someone with a camera-phone, a disposable snappy or might you need to be using something costing a hundred quid or more to be a true photographer in the eyes of Blair and Co.? Sounds as ill-conceived and full of holes as the hunting ban, smoking ban and, no doubt many other bans that are flouted on a daily basis.
    And I said I wasn't going to get too excited....
    Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Carl.

Best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Sounds as ill-conceived and full of holes as the hunting ban, smoking ban and, no doubt many other bans that are flouted on a daily basis.
    I wouldn't call the smoking ban ill-conceived. I have a friend who sings in local pubs who went to see her doctor with a throat problem. After an examination he asked "what do you smoke? about twenty a day?" She is a non-smoker so any damage that has been done was by passive smoking.

The effects on bar staff will be greater still as they are working longer hours in smoke filled bars than the musicians do.

Whilst I see the ban as a good thing. I am sure the drive behind it is more to do with eliminating possible legal action, i.e. staff claiming against their employers on health grounds rather than being for the general good of the public's health.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There have been quite a few rumblings about restrictions being placed on photographers with either pedophilia or terrorism being used as an excuse (depending on which way the wind was blowing at the time).

It seems a trifle ironic that photography by the public should be under fire when there's such a proliferation of CCTV cameras for surveillance of the public.

I'm not sure what proposals the government have put forward with regard to restricting photography, and the petition doesn't state them explicitly, but I've signed because of the general trend to regard any individual with a camera as suspicious.
    Last edited by FrankB; 02-16-2007 at 04:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well said Frank, I have also signed. Thanks Carl for bringing this to our attention.

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    ie what constitutes a public place
    Steve
    well - if the precedent is set by the understanding under s136 of the Mental Health Act 1983 - then a public place is anywhere to which the public have access. simple as that

PS - I cant wait for my public air to be smoke free. the sooner the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    ....... then a public place is anywhere to which the public have access. simple as that

starting to feel sorry for all those tourists in London that won't be able any more to take photos of each other with Big Ben, Buck. Palace, Westmnster, SwissRe building, Oxford St. etc........
    "A photograph is not created by a photographer. What he does is just to open a little window and capture it. The world then writes itself on the film. The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world."
    Ferdinando Scianna, Magnum photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
    starting to feel sorry for all those tourists in London that won't be able any more to take photos of each other with Big Ben, Buck. Palace, Westmnster, SwissRe building, Oxford St. etc........
    I see another sure-fire business opportunity here. You go round wearing a huge black coat, capable of hiding someone, open it up when you see a tourist and say "Psst - wanna take a picture?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this about fears of paedophillia or terrorism or what?

Sounds like trying to stop water flooding out of a leaky bucket & over the top by plugging the holes in the bucket rather than turning off the tap....(Laurel and Hardy come to mind)...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sound like you need a "Boston Film Party!"

All British photographers should stage a mass "Public Space" photography shoo-in to demonstrate. Then at the end throw your film into the harbor (harbour).

Next the "authorities" will march their "troops" against you to Lexington and Concord.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Politicians really need to find real work. Your Labour Party sounds a lot iike our Loony Republican Party. Which is an observation worth laughing about. Liberals and Conservatives united will always be defeated. Ha ha ha ha.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin