Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,778   Online: 867

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rob a very good idea indeed. we'll sort out accommodation then have a think about that one. I'm not sure if the woolpack has family type rooms, but I'll find out. Failing that, there are quite a few other B&B's in the village http://www.chilham-parish.org.uk/bandb.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I would however like to drop a few shutters over the weekend in a part of the world which I haven't previously visited.
    well - if you're hanging around we might as well go for the full-length version of the East Kent Experience once everyone has headed off (usually around Mid day If I remember rightly) - if you up for that Frank?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sunday pm it is! Nice one!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Change of plan! - just a single for me now, Leon. The thought of a Baby, 3- year-old and a bunch of 'luddites' (not to mention me in photography & Beer mode) was too much for Claire - she's staying with friends near Canterbury for the weekend!

The train fare from Chilham to Canterbury is £2.70 return, but I can probably get that to under £2 if we go as a group. No need to sort it till much nearer the time, though.

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Count me in but I'll hopefully stay at the inlaws if I don't upset them beforehand. I'll work out the logistics of getting me full of beer and then home at a later date!

I'm with Dave on the travelling thing as well. I you choose the locations with enough care there should be plenty to shoot without a lot of driving.

Regards
    N

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi all, I am a new APUG member. I just introduced myself in the new member section just to realise that there is a local threat.

What is this meetup week-end that you are organizing? is there a program available somewhere? what is the cost?
    I could be interested in joining.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    Hi all, I am a new APUG member. I just introduced myself in the new member section just to realise that there is a local threat.

What is this meetup week-end that you are organizing? is there a program available somewhere? what is the cost?
    I could be interested in joining.
    Delphine - welcome to APUG. The meet-ups are something we have been doing for a few years now. It usually takes place 2 times a year (Spring and Autumn) in various locations around the country (previous have been Wiltshire, Cumbria, York Dales, Wye Valley and some others). The the weekends are usually very informal - usually based in a b&b, we have diunner and a drink on the friday evening and at which we discuss finding somewhere to go and wander/ shoot on the saturday. then dinner and drinks again sat evening, maybe show a few of our prints around at some point in the weekend (although no pressure to do this) then maybe find somewhere to go to on the sunday morning or maybe all go our own way then. No particular timetable or anything so organised for us!

For this weekend in particular, once I know how many people are wanting to come (and their room requirements), I'm going to approach the landlord of the Woolpack in Chilham to see if we can arrange some kind of discount for a block booking, but if this place doesnt suit your fancy, then there are plenty of other B&B's in the village so there's nothing to stop people booking one of those and meeting with us during the weekend. Hope that helps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Delphine,

Welcome to APUG! The UK Gatherings have been happening for a shade over three years now. They are very informal and all members are welcome.

Generally we pick a location and a date that appeals to enough of us to make it worthwhile and find a hotel in the area. On the Friday pm we arrive and meet up in the venue. Food, chat and beverages of one form or another (ahem!) ensue and a good time is had by all.

On the Saturday we decamp and try and find something not too far away worth dropping a shutter on, usually joined by other more local APUGgers who drive in for the day. A pub or cafe lunch breaks up the day with more photo-making in the afternoon. The Saturday night tends to be a rerun of the Friday night with the bonus that by this point more of us know one another and have usually discovered even more in the way of shared interests.

On the Sunday we settle up, check out and make a few more photographs before people head for home at various points throughout the day.

At some point in the weekend people tend to pass round traditional prints that they're either especially pleased with or want feedback on. This isn't compulsory (not all of us have darkrooms or make prints) but, IMO, it is one of the best parts of the Gathering.

Cost = accommodation plus food (plus beverages!). The venue for this outing has been agreed as Canterbury (area) on the weekend of 5-7 October. The provisional hotel (still to be confirmed at this point) is The Woolpack Inn, Chilham and you'd be most welcome to join us!

ROTFL! - Leon, you're a quicker typist than me mate!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you very much Frank & Leon for your comprehensive answers. I'd be very interested although I don't have a car and I don't know how convenient that would be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    De nada, Delphine!

If you can get yourself to the venue via public transport there are always a few empty car seats going. We've yet to leave anyone behind!

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin