Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1152

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wanted ... Whole Plate DDS

Anyone got a Whole Plate DDS sitting unused in the trunk in the basement?

Autumn is acomin' and I'm feeling the urge to build another camera; and the sheet film holder is the starting point, but Whole Plate this time.

Any condition considered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    S'ok, I got a bunch of holders, but looks like I'll be restoring before building - there was a camera attached.

Btw, anybody heard of Gerard & Co, 7 South St, London?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP3842_copy.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
    S'ok, I got a bunch of holders, but looks like I'll be restoring before building - there was a camera attached.

Btw, anybody heard of Gerard & Co, 7 South St, London?
    Sandeha

I warn you that I do not have a clue when it comes to this type of camera. That said, the one you have pictured is almost identical to the one I own, which is a Superbe Victor, made by, I believe, Thornton Pickard, circa 1910.The one pictured is the better version than mine, as it has brass fittings.

Mine has been converted and has a plate fitted with a tripod mount, and the original lens has been replaced with a Kodak Ilex universal.

Please don't quote me on any of this, as I said, I am a bit of a Numpty when it comes to these things.

Regards

Stoo
    Last edited by Stoo Batchelor; 08-10-2007 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling, of course!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A lot of classic English cameras are going to look like the Thornton Pickards. There was a general "English-Style" wood field camera, which has its own quirks that were followed by most English camera makers in that period. You'll see it also in many Indian and Japanese cameras, which followed the English model. Everyone else pretty much did their own thing. Notable exceptions are Rajahs in India, which mimicked the Deardorf, and a Prinzdorf, which despite the name was also an Indian camera IIRC.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes I have one. I have never used it, I reckon its not quite light tight but could easily be made so (its wood and looks reasonably well made). Send your address and I will try to get to the post office...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many thanks, Justin. I've sent you a PM.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin