Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,399   Online: 802

Shooter
    35mm

Exmoor - Suggestions for locations

Hi, I'm visiting Exmoor for a week in September for the first time, does anyone have any suggestions for interesting places to photograph, landscape, villages, old buildings, etc. It will be a change from the Edinburgh Festival which is devouring my film stocks currently.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    here's a few samples from the northern part of Exmoor, just to give you an idea:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgeBW.jpg   heather1.jpg   tree1.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    The 'valley of the rocks' near Minehead is quite attractive. You might even find a mini-tripod with a Leitz head that I lost there a few years ago!

Shooter
    35mm
    Mark, thanks for the images. The stone bridge looks interesting, where is it?

lesd, I'll look out for the tripod!

Ritchie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ritchie,
    it is at Allerford. Porlock is interesting where farmland is being reclaimed by the sea.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have a look at Peter Hendrie's website. He runs White Horse in Exford well worth a visit, friendly beer and so is he! peterhendrie.co.uk/

I had a weekend there a few years ago. Lovely part of the world. Pebbles and mini-cliff at Bossington near Allerford also worth a look where I found this B+W, the stream image was also nearby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fissures.jpg   Fall Flow.jpg  

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    A trip to Lundy Island is well worth doing. There's a lot to see but as your time on the island is governed by the tides, you need to plan and book in advance. Plenty of info on the web. Good scenery and apparently it's a twitcher's paradise. There's also a pub there!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know I'm too late with info, but I live near Minehead, and in case you ever come back, or in case anyone else wants to know the same thing, 2 places stand out for me around here. Sparkhayes marsh, between Porlock and Bossington on the coast path, and the geological SSSI of Kleeve beach. (See my photos of it). Sparkhayes was a freshwater marsh separated from the sea by a shingle bank, but a few years ago the sea broke through, turning it into a salt water marsh, which has killed all the trees, leaving them bare and isolated.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin