Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,434   Online: 853

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used to like the Jacobs in Leeds - but sadly it closed down some time ago (just before/after Christmas I think.) So now we have Jessops, one good indepedent camera shop which is great for 2nd hand kit but doesn't sell consumables, and one independent shop which is so thoroughly noxious I refuse to dignify them with my trade... Very sad

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must admit for the most part, I have switched to Calumet and Jacobs now.
    I got fed up with Jessops and their lack of stock of useful things.

I'll continue to use the smaller Nottingham branch until they close, mainly because the staff are pleasant, and I've built up a good relationship with them.
    I wish there was somewhere in Nottingham that still did second hand stuff...
    Jacobs have a small amount of stuff, but rarely anything I actually need.

It's unfortunate, but whenever Jessops comes up now, it's under a black cloud. - How long do you give them to live? (Assuming they don't mend their ways)
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My dad had a story about when he was a clark in a small-town bank in Canada in the early 1930's. An old fellow dressed in old clothes came into the bank, sat down, and waited. Although it wasn't really his job Dad noticed he was being ignored by the rest of the staff so went over to him and asked if he could help him. The old guy said yes, he wanted to deposit $20,000. Apparently there would have been hell to pay if the bank had found out the staff had let this guy and his money out of the building!
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did quite well out of Jessops lack of staff training the other week. Like FrankB I went into my local branch in the vain hope of getting some fixer. I espied a couple of rolls of Kodak HIE on the shelf along with the ususl Kodak C41 stuff. I asked the lad how much it was. "Dunno, fink all the films are £2.99 each" Scanned it into the till and it came up as £10.99. "that can't be right" he says and overrode it to £2.99 before I could say anything. I wasn't going to argue and departed fixerless, but clutching 2 rolls of HIE for £5.98!

Rob

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Evan,

What -- opening bloody coffee shops! No: my 'surely not' referred to the extraordinary coincidence that the camera store that refused to serve you is now out of business. I wonder why that could be?

I heard a wonderful story from the 1920s or 30s about three brothers who owned a big logging company. When they were snubbed by the local Rolls Royce dealer, they went and bought three matching Cadillacs -- V12s or V16s, maybe -- and circled the Rolls Royce dealer for ten minutes, waving and blowing their horns.

Cheers,

Roger
    Roger, that is what I meant. It was THE pro photography shop for a 90 mile radius and they folded fast. Interestingly, the sales culprits moved as a group to another local store chain here and are busy providing more poor service. I can't wait to see how long these people last especially since their whole product line is now digital and they must compete with appliance chains..TTYL..Evan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once went in to century Camera on Woodward Ave. berkely Mich to buy an MF out fit. I had a boatload of cash burning a hole in my pocket. The guys behind the counter (the tall thin balding and short squat balding pair that came with the building) couldn't be bothered.. I drove to Camera Mart on Huron rd (M59) and telegraph in Pontiac Mich and bought a mamiya 6mf 3 lenses a handful of filters and a camera bag. I continued to support them up until I left the Detroit area. To this day I have never figured out why some camera store clerks are such arrogant bone heads

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Roger, that is what I meant. It was THE pro photography shop for a 90 mile radius and they folded fast. Interestingly, the sales culprits moved as a group to another local store chain here and are busy providing more poor service. I can't wait to see how long these people last especially since their whole product line is now digital and they must compete with appliance chains..TTYL..Evan
    Dear Evan,

An interesting light on what constitutes 'professional'.

Let us all know when their new bosses go bust or fire them. It couldn't happen to nicer people.

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    My dad had a story about when he was a clark in a small-town bank in Canada in the early 1930's. An old fellow dressed in old clothes came into the bank, sat down, and waited. Although it wasn't really his job Dad noticed he was being ignored by the rest of the staff so went over to him and asked if he could help him. The old guy said yes, he wanted to deposit $20,000. Apparently there would have been hell to pay if the bank had found out the staff had let this guy and his money out of the building!
    Yep never know who you are dealing with.

My dad grew up in the east texas oil fields and worked one summer in a rig supply warehouse. Some ratty looking guy came in ordered a boat load of stuff and walked out the door. Dad called the boss and asked what he should do. After describing the guy, the OWNER of the warehouse came down and filled the order himself, then waited patiently for a day or so until the guy came back. Dad figured the owner was nuts. Turned out the guy was one of the richest oil guys in the state.

As for snotty camera guys, I just think some people are in these places because they have to be. Can't make it as working photogs so put on airs. In Albuquerque there are two places. One is Camera and Darkroom, the other is Kurt's. Kurt's is filled with arrogance. Camera and Darkroom is filled with overly helpful and wonderful people. The guy with a hook for a hand rocks.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There have been three camera stores in my local town for the past ten years. Two of them survive thinly on bags, binoculars and processing, and keep a small range of film, but no chemicals. And then there's Jessops.

Fate has been somewhat kinder to Jessops here. Some of the staff are old-school photogs (think plumbing dept at B&Q, just like that) who grin and bear with it. But, just as the digital makeover was happening in the shop, the local HE college Art Dept moved into a new building two streets away ... imagine, it's now difficult to find RC paper at Jessops because they mostly stock FB !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first serious gear purchase was in the early 70's and I was a longhaired, bearded youth. I went to one of the local pro stores three or four times to look at different cameras and lenses. I always had the same "order taker" wait on me. On my last visit I had lots of cash and was ready to buy...camera, three lenses, filter, bag and film. The "order taker" saw me coming and as I got to the counter he headed for the stock room. In a few minutes a kid a bit younger than me appeared and nervously appraoched me. I told him what I wanted, he rang it up and he got credit for the sale. I only wish I could of heard the other a.h.'s comments.

Bob

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin