Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,785   Online: 1002

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Images
    My wife saw this thread over my shoulder and reminded me about the first saleswoman who "helped" us when we started looking for our van. She was a jerk. Saw our trade in and told us we would never be able to afford a "Cadi". Since we were looking for a van this was not an issue. Then she told us we would have to leave our car, since we were going to trade it in, for a few days to get it appraised. Complete load of crap. They had the best price on what we wanted so when we went back we sought out another salesman who was very helpful courteous and everything the lady was not. After we signed the papers and the deal was done-having had our trade in appraised in under five minutes-the original woman came up and told our salesman that the commission was hers since she was the first to "help us". Before I or the salesman could say anything my wife called the owner over-he shakes the hand of new car buyers and new car buyers roll their eyes. My wife told him the salesman, not woman got the commission because the woman was a jerk and told the owner the story.

I went back a month later to get a recall-repair done and the salesman told me the woman was let go after we left, because of what my wife told the owner.

I have seen this attitude in so many places that I wonder where it comes from.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There used to be three Jessops branches in Croydon, Surrey. One went fairly recently, the second is having a closing down sale. How long the third will stay, only time will tell. All the other big digi dealers are in the High St.

I thought I would look and see if there is an online sale only to see that their domain (jessops.co.uk) does not work anymore.

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hope that you are not proposing that we attend the wake.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I hope that you are not proposing that we attend the wake.
    No, I was just looking for bargains, However if there is free cheesecake...

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    No, I was just looking for bargains, However if there is free cheesecake...

Barry
    Maybe I could be persuaded.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    There used to be three Jessops branches in Croydon, Surrey. One went fairly recently, the second is having a closing down sale. How long the third will stay, only time will tell. All the other big digi dealers are in the High St.

I thought I would look and see if there is an online sale only to see that their domain (jessops.co.uk) does not work anymore.

Barry
    Jessops's website is .com
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Jessops's website is .com
    Hmm, thanks. Its strange because I used a bookmark which I have often used in the past which pointed to Jessops.co.uk

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once I was contemplating 8x10 as a format. I still do to some extent, but it feels less and less important. I don't think it will improve my seeing any.
    But at the time I was cash strapped, and had a nice deal on an 8x10 rig to grab, pending I could find an affordable way of supporting that camera. I had the tripod, but needed a head for it. Something that could accommodate my other cameras as well. So I inquired about all possible solutions, including ball heads. You never know, I might be able to use one.
    The guy who assisted me, I have to give him credit, I came in wearing the same clothes I was while painting my living room, wasn't sure about a ball head that could take approximately 45 lbs. So he had to ask. The senior rep looked at the guy like 'Are you nuts?!" but kept his mouth shut and started looking in catalogs. Another store clerk exclaimed very loudly "Why the hell would you want to put an 8x10 on a ball head?!" and laughed...
    Now, whether it was a good idea to put an 8x10 on a ball head or not, I don't know, but I sure won't purchase it there if it was, including the $200 worth of Ilford paper and fixer I was about to purchase. I just left it all on the counter and left the place. Never looked back.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thursday last was in Camarthen when I saw the closeing down notice on the window of Jessops. Went in and found everything wet was 90% off. Box of 100 8x6.5 Ilford MG4 RC, Box of 25 Kentmere RC, 4lts Tmax dev. Multi mask easel and a 10x8 papersafe for £14 odd. Have to say it saddend me that these things were being disposed of so cheaply, I will however give them a good home.
    A lot of the old school staff at Jessops have got out as one told me " I just couldnot stand it any more" He now works for an independent and with the service he gave me my busness will follow him.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://w*w.jacobsdigital.co.uk? The clue is in the URL.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin