Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,306   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Jessops loss is Jacobs gain...

I know Jessops failings have been well-documented here before, but for me this is a new low (with a happy ending!) -

Out shooting in Manchester for the APUG 5th Anniversary this lunchtime I was passing a Jessops and decided to pick up some fixer for use in processing the results. I went in and asked for a bottle of Ilford fixer.

The manager's eyebrows went up quickly followed by his nose, then he made that odd noise that plumbers make just before they tell you how bad the job was that the last plumber did.

"What you see is what you get!" he announced. Apparently, what I got was to be about twenty rolls of assorted film (mostly C41), a bottle of Jessops Econodev gnat's pee and an old accordion bottle.

Up until now Jessops haven't shown much traditional stock, but they have at least had a bit in the store room. I asked but apparently, at this store at least, this is no longer the case. And it's not like this was anything incredibly esoteric - just a plain old bottle of fixer.

As I turned to go he made the mistake of saying, "I suppose you might be able to order it from our website..."

Normally I would have let it go, but the bloke's attitude annoyed me, so I enquired quietly why he thought I would choose their website, given that there were many sites offering that product... and that Jessops had just let me down. While he thought for an answer I pointed out that what he did have in his shop could also be bought from PC World, Currys, Comet, even Halfords (some of it).

I then bit my lip and left without adding, "Why do you think your company's going bust?!" (which would have been a bit too much like shooting fish in a barrel!).

Fuming quietly, my wanderings took me past a Jacobs outlet so I thought I'd give it one last try...

Ilford Fixer? Certainly! Just over on that well-stocked shelf over there! 500ml, 1 litre or 5 litres? Hypam or Rapid Fixer? How about some Ilford / Harman Paper Developer? Cooltone or Warmtone, we have plenty of both?! Traditional paper? Of course! Resin or fibre? Cooltone, warmtone or neutral? Any accessories? We have Paterson tanks, reels, film clips, tongs, safelights...!

I'd meant to get a load of stock in via mail order next week so instead I decided to stock up there just to support a high street outlet who still supported the traditional photographer, even if it was at a mark-up!

Except it wasn't at a mark-up. I spent £80 and I think I might actually have saved a little money. Ended up with a nice chat about the Rollei 35 I was using and walked out a happy (and heavily-laden) man!

In the past I've always regarded Jacobs as Jessops' poor relation, I've no idea why. I certainly won't be thinking of them like that any more!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    Out shooting in Manchester for the APUG 5th Anniversary this lunchtime ...
    Have you had a visit from the boy's in blue?

I hope you went back past Jessops with the Jacob's carrier bags in full view and gave them a wave?

Barry

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    I hope you went back past Jessops with the Jacob's carrier bags in full view and gave them a wave?
    Dear Barry,

A kindred story from a rich friend, maybe 20 years ago.

He went into one of the snootier London stores and said, "I'm interested in buying a Hasselblad system. Have you got this in stock:..." He then reeled off the list: a couple of bodies, three or four backs (including Polaroid) several lenses...

The languid young man behind the counter said, "Are you a serious purchaser, sir?"

"I f***ing was," came the reply. He then went down the road; bought all the kit; stopped his Rolls-Royce outside the original shop; and walked in with an armful of Hasselblad boxes. "You could have sold me this," he said, "If you weren't such a stupid c***."

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Frank. Pity that Jacobs haven't got the same retail network as Jessops. Apparently Jessops turned down the chance to be part of the Ilford D2D system or at least the negotiations between Ilford and Jessops never came to a successful outcome. I know this from making an inquiry about using Jessops in Banbury via Ilford. I now have a local minilab as my D2D dealer. Very convenient. Pity about Ilford prices in the catalogue. Currently on most items and usually the more expensive ones,large mail order stockists like Nova can beat the D2D prices by quite a margin.

In Jessops case what you experienced was just another sign of a terminal illness but at least the patient thinks he's recovering which is better than contemplating a long and agonising death.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was in Jessops yesterday, a teeeny tiny part of Jessops/carphonewarehouse/talktalk/GAME shop (what the heck is going on there?) and there among the inkjet papers were ... actual packets of ilford multigrade RC paper. Only two (8x10 25+10 in Glossy and one in Pearl). I felt like rescuing them before they got ruined and returned by an irate d-photog who bought it and can't understand why their paper is turning pink/yellow/brown. But I didn't because it cost 10UKP each and for that money I can nearly buy a box of 100.
    Then they tried to charge my husband an extra quid from what was the stickered price on a lens cap (and it had two stickers on it saying the lower price). I really won't miss'em...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a similar story to Roger's. Iwas in the mood to buy a Mamiya system and was in the number one pro outlet in Milwaukee who had 3 sales people standing behind a 6" counter. I had $12000.00 US cash in my pocket and was standing in front of them but could not attract their attention. I make fancy wood objects and it can be a dirty business so I usually look a little ratty (read this as no suit and tie). No one would wait on me. I left, went to another store who wanted to get the Mamiya franchise, told my story and in a few weeks they were in the Mamiya business. The other store now houses a coffee distributor...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    The other store now houses a coffee distributor.
    Dear Evan,

Surely not!

Great story. Thanks.

Cheers,

roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    I actually did pass Jessops on my way back and thought long and hard about going back in...

In the end, I didn't do it. Instead I'll simply vote with my feet - buy anything I need from Jacobs if they carry it and go mail order for the rest.

I won't be darkening Jessops' door again.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Evan,

Surely not!

Great story. Thanks.

Cheers,

roger
    Surely!!

This behavior is rampant in the USA..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Surely!!

This behavior is rampant in the USA..Evan Clarke
    Dear Evan,

What -- opening bloody coffee shops! No: my 'surely not' referred to the extraordinary coincidence that the camera store that refused to serve you is now out of business. I wonder why that could be?

I heard a wonderful story from the 1920s or 30s about three brothers who owned a big logging company. When they were snubbed by the local Rolls Royce dealer, they went and bought three matching Cadillacs -- V12s or V16s, maybe -- and circled the Rolls Royce dealer for ten minutes, waving and blowing their horns.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin