Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,214   Online: 1042

Shooter
    4x5 Format

colour glass plates

Hi.

Can anyone help me?.

I am trying to research into whether it is still possible to make colour glass plates?. Does anyone know the following -

a. if the chemistry is still available.

b. what the process involves

c. where i might obtain the ingredients from

Thank you,

Tristan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There would be no fundamental differences between color plates (if they ever existed) and existing color film, except for those involved precisely in the technology of coating (having an emulsion stick to a glass plate when developed at 100F might be tough...).

In other words, unless you have a few millions of R&D $$ in your pockets, with the assorted portfolio of patents held by the likes of Fuji and Kodak to develop the equivalent of C-41/E-6 emulsions, fuggetaboutit.

If you're talking about Autochromes and similar screen plates, there are some folks trying to work it out on their own. Search the APUG archives for posts by user htmlguru4242, for instance.

And Welcome to APUG!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    (oops, double post)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's more on the autochrome process here, but AFAIK no-one has been able to duplicate it in recent times.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin