Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,033   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to LF

Shooter
    Medium Format

New to LF

I've just invested in a large format camera set up & to be frank, I'm a little lost & I'm looking to meet up with someone who can show me the ropes & give advice. Spent all my money on the equipment, so can't really afford a "Light & Land" course at the moment!
    I'm in the Dundee area of Scotland.
    Last edited by atom; 11-25-2007 at 03:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello,

Can't help from here (London). If you haven't tried before, it may be worth you posting on the UK LF Forum as well. There are a number of LF users there who live in Scotland. The url is...

http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/

Barry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry, can't help. I'm on the other side of the world from you, Hawaii. However, I can offer you a welcome and hope that you will feel free to ask any question that may come up in your quest to learn LF photography.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Atom, I think you need to fly to Hawaii to get personal instruction.

Get "Using a View Camera" by Steve Simmons

http://www.amazon.com/Using-View-Cam...6028532&sr=1-1
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Atom. Dundee eh? So is it Tannadice or Dens Park? For the benefit of our English friends, that's not a coded Gaelic question. Back to the subject. It's still quite some time away but as I understand it there's an APUG meet in Northumberland next Spring. It might be within reach. Check that thread out. There may be some LFers going and there are some APUGers north of the border. Each member/ subscriber's profile will often tell you of that person's interests in terms of 35mm/MF/LF.

I presume that none of the camera clubs in the area have any LFers left. A sign of the times maybe.

APUG isn't the same as face to face contact and sometimes the answer to questions take a little longer but more often than not somebody or bodies here will get you to where you need to go.

Good luck with LF

pentaxuser

Images
    Good Evening Atom,

Don't forget that APUG has voluminous Forum posts on just about any LF-related topic, from lenses to film holders to processing to view camera types to practical tips on usage to . . . . Just spend the time and you have a graduate-level course of information at your disposal.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi atom

for starters ...

the tutorial video on film loading linked to in this
    thread is very good: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/4...-tutorial.html

when you have questions, feel free to ask, there are a bunch of lf'ers
    who will be more than happy to help you out

welcome!

and best of luck

john
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all who took the time to reply, I will take all suggestions on board. Just by responding to my post, you have made me feel very welcome. It looks like it will be a steep learning process, but one I am looking forward to.

atom.
    http://www.albavistas.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't be afraid of making mistakes. You will make some. Large format photography invites mistakes. Just make sure to learn from them.

The Simmons book is a very good start.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi atom,

I live near Dumfries so am probably the closest person to reply to your post - still a few hours away though! I suggest you check out the UK LF Group - they may have some members near you. They are a very friendly and helpful lot - their website is http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/

I am actually in the process of getting out of LF and will be posting all my LF gear in the classifieds very soon. I've settled on 6x6 as my ideal format.

Cheers
    Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin