Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,678   Online: 768

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Tracking him down on the WWW is one thing, in person is another story!

Vaughn

Vaughn, clearly you know Tom I will probably meet up with him sometime in the spring when I go to the College if he's there that is. I'll pass on your good wishes
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would appreciate that! Tell him that I am still the photo tech for HSU and that someday I'll send him a carbon print of my three 3 10 year old boys.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was lucky to see an exhibiton of his seascapes at the St Ives TATE a few years ago - all done on 10x8 IIRC and the prints were the size of a wall. Quite stunning in fact and very different from the norm. A guy well worth getting hold of, or getting to see, if you can.

Cheers,

Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Souch View Post
    I was lucky to see an exhibiton of his seascapes at the St Ives TATE a few years ago - all done on 10x8 IIRC and the prints were the size of a wall. Quite stunning in fact and very different from the norm. A guy well worth getting hold of, or getting to see, if you can.

Cheers,

Neil.
    I read some where that he used to use an old 5x7 Camera and Kodak Plus-X film which AFAIK is no longer available in LF film-sheets. Perhaps he has moved on to the 8x10 format.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As far as I know he works with 5x7. Long before moving to Scotland he was considering 11x14...but on the advice of Ansel, he stayed with 5x7 (one of the deciding factors was depth of field...the longer lenses often required to cover 11x14 don't have much).

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my knowledge Tom still uses his old 5 x 7 camera. I once took him to a workshop and he sat in the back seat of the car holding the camera, wrapped in the focussing cloth, on his knee. We travelled over 200 miles with Tom lovingly nursing his beloved 5 x 7 as described. He told me that when he travelled overseas by plane he carried the camera in the same manner. That was quite a few years ago, I wonder what he does these days with all the idiocy that takes place when checking in at airports.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe the images I saw were from a 5x7 camera and not a 10x8. It was a while ago and my memory grows dim! In any event the quality showed through and many of them stayed with me to this day.

Cheers,

Neil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    TJC had a show in Santa Fe a few years ago and the prints were gorgeous.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was lucky enough to do a workshop with him at Inversnaid in 2002-he must have mellowed because we were usually all climbing the wooden hill by 1 am....
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin