Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,321   Online: 901

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thomas Joshua-Cooper.

I don`t know much about him, other than he works in 5x7, has had some books published, currently lives somewhere in Scotland and used to do workshops. I have read post here about TJC and I am wondering if he still does workshops? The only information I have is from what I have read on the photo-forums e.g., apug.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I only have limited info, based on inviting him to talk at the Arena annual weekend seminar in the S.E. of England some years ago.
    I was told that he didn't travel outside Scotland, but I wrote to him anyway with an invitation. I sent him 2 personal letters but I had no reply.
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    I don`t know much about him, other than he works in 5x7, has had some books published, currently lives somewhere in Scotland and used to do workshops. I have read post here about TJC and I am wondering if he still does workshops? The only information I have is from what I have read on the photo-forums e.g., apug.
    Keith, Thomas lives in Glasgow and works in the Glasgow School of Art where he is, I think, Professor of Photography. He has several books, I have three of them, Point of No Return, published in 2004, being the last one that I know of, I believe it is still available and can recommend it but have a look at it before you purchase because Tom's work is a bit of an aquired taste. The others that I have are Dreaming the Gokstadt and Between Dark and Dark, both long since out of print. Tom used to do one workshop each year at Inversnaid in Scotland but I don't think he has done that for several years. Even though he is a good friend of mine he agreed to do one workshop only for me many years ago. Tom is an inspirational teacher and if you see a workshop advertised I'd suggest that you book up immediately for there are many photographers waiting for that pleasure.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim rudman View Post
    I only have limited info, based on inviting him to talk at the Arena annual weekend seminar in the S.E. of England some years ago.
    I was told that he didn't travel outside Scotland, but I wrote to him anyway with an invitation. I sent him 2 personal letters but I had no reply.
    Tim
    Tim, he never answers letters, emails and even telephone calls, one of his assistants does that. He is very difficult to catch by phone. The only reason that I can get to him is that I have his private darkroom telephone number so I have to hope he is in there when I call and he is prepared to answer it. A very private but interesting character.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info Les, from what you have said, the workshop seems unlikely.

Cheers,

Keith.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keith, have you looked at the Inversnaid programme; could he lecture there ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thomas is also a friend and mentor of mine...but that was many many years ago before he left the USA for Scotland and was teaching at Humboldt State University (late 70's/early 80's). And Les is correct, he does not answer letters.

Good luck in tracking him down. The best you might be able to do is to attend a talk, if he ever gives one, in relation to one of his shows.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thomas is also a friend and mentor of mine...but that was many many years ago before he left the USA for Scotland and was teaching at Humboldt State University (late 70's/early 80's). And Les is correct, he does not answer letters.
    Good luck in tracking him down. The best you might be able to do is to attend a talk, if he ever gives one, in relation to one of his shows.

Vaughn
    As Les said. http://www.gsa.ac.uk/gsa.cfm?pid=103

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Vaughn
    As Les said. http://www.gsa.ac.uk/gsa.cfm?pid=103

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Tracking him down on the WWW is one thing, in person is another story!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin