Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,984   Online: 845

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I couldn't see anything on admission prices. Where did it say free? Better you than me handing over large handfuls of £5 notes if they charge and the lighting doesn't allow proper appreciation of the prints as has been noted. Didn't BobF mention this as well? Slightly worrying.

pentaxuser
    I found the light levels too low for comfort at the Haywood Gallery in London. I was hoping for better if I can get to Edinburgh but it sounds like I might be disappointed. Ho hum, I'll still go if it rains too hard to photograph tho

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should also have mentioned that the Edinburgh exhibition is a double-header with Lindsay Robertson http://www.lindsayrobertson.com/ whose photos were impressive in their own right. As well as "normal" sized prints, there was a selection of mural prints up to 8 feet x 4 feet, and all analogue in origin. In this instance, big really is beautiful!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    I found the light levels too low for comfort at the Haywood Gallery in London. I was hoping for better if I can get to Edinburgh but it sounds like I might be disappointed. Ho hum, I'll still go if it rains too hard to photograph tho

Cheers, Bob.
    Exactly my beef too, stupidly low light levels, apparently to preserve the prints That advice from an attendant after I complained that I couldn't see the detail.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post

Cheers, Bob.
    I also saw this at the Hayward and was hugely dissapointed. The light levels were extremely low and the exhibits suffered from it massively.

If the Oxford one is better lit I might be tempted

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This poor lighting seems to be the hallmark of many exhibitions these days. On one occasion I went to the venues shop to buy a pen to register my disspleasure in the visitors book and this fron a salon that was supposedly proffesionaly hung. There is no point putting them on the wall if no one can see them, wonder what would be said if we took a torch?
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought the Lee Miller one in London was about OK. The lighting in the National Portrait Gallery and all the exhibitions I've seen in the National Film, TV and Photography Museum in Bradford have been superb but then again maybe the prints were regarded as highly as AA's.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I visited the Oxford exhibition a couple of weeks ago. The light levels were fine for me and entry is indeed free.

It's an excellent exhibition, having enjoyed the prints for their artistic merit I spent a lot of time taking in the technical aspects of Adams' burning and dodging which really are quite wonderful.

The range of prints gives a very varied introduction to his work and comparing the quality and depth of the full size images with the same images reproduced in two of the books available to buy from the gallery indicated that it's pointless buying the books as they simply don't reproduce the images in anything like their original form.

Well worth a visit. The cafe does decent grub too though the whole place was getting pretty busy by lunchtime on a Saturday.

Barry
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    35mm

Ansell exhibition

I saw the exhibition in Edinburgh . The lighting was dreadful. However the Lidsay Robertson prints were a joy to see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I read this thread earlier and realised that today was the only day we could visit,:o so we did; and Iíve just got back from the 110 mile round trip.

My reaction: well Oxford is rather grubby, not at all like the image I gained from watching the Morse TV. series. It is also very car unfriendly, and cyclists think they own the pavements as well as the roads; but I only shouted at one of them, honest. It took about the same time to park as it did to drive the 55 miles there. So I wasnít in a good mood when I entered the gallery, a very hot and stuffy gallery I might add. Not good so far!

But the pictures; thatís what we went for, and we werenít disappointed. For starters we could see them, so didnít need the torch. All were of a respectable exhibition size, so easily viewed. Many were very familiar, a few not quite so, and a couple unknown to me. Surprisingly, a few were not printed very well and in my view should not have been hung, but somehow that brought the man down to the human level, so the organisers are forgiven. I suppose the curator is not there as judge, merely to ensure what they are given is hung properly, in that they are successful.

The event was very well attended with a couple of people in front of each photograph, and that I find very gratifying for the future of proper printing.
    My simple test of the print/content quality of the pictures (do I want it on my wall) was met by about 80% of those displayed, not a bad hit rate.

See it if you can.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Dave That'll do for me. I was probably going to visit anyway but another plus vote clinches it. Too late now but the Park and Ride scheme might have been worth a go. I'd recommend it to anyone else thinking of getting there by car. We used this last time and it avoided a lot of hassle. Oxford really doesn't want cars in the centre.

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin