Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,526   Online: 986

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I think the Oxford and Edinburgh exhibitions are two different ones. The Edinburgh one is from the Eastman Collection (Kodak) whilst the Oxford one is from the Centre of Creative Photography in Tucson.

Also I understand that the Oxford one will be showing in Walsall from the end of June, I think for a month of so.

Yes, I found the lighting in Edinburgh particularly bad, I assume this is for conservation reasons, whilst the lighting on the Lidsay Robertson exhibition was perfect and the prints were a joy to behold.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Dave That'll do for me. I was probably going to visit anyway but another plus vote clinches it. Too late now but the Park and Ride scheme might have been worth a go. I'd recommend it to anyone else thinking of getting there by car. We used this last time and it avoided a lot of hassle. Oxford really doesn't want cars in the centre.

pentaxuser
    With the time we had available the Park & Ride was not viable, however there is a shopping centre car park about 50 yards from the exhibition venue that we did use. Eventually! The problem is that its entrance is cunningly disguised as a building site, presumably because they heard I was coming and wanted to give the cyclists longer to run me down.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Friends of mine lived in Oxford for a while so I got to use their driveway mostly (until they had a daughter and added the obligatory 4x4 approximately the same size as Westminster Cathedral) but I tried the park-and-ride once. Never again. It took the bus about the same amount of time to reach the town centre as it did to drive there from West London (gawd, I forgot how much I HATE buses).

Thanks for the car-park tip Dave - I'll see if I can find it when I go. Your report on the lighting conditions clinched it for me to go (just putting down a marker so I can blame you if I don't like it... ).

Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Friends of mine lived in Oxford for a while so I got to use their driveway mostly (until they had a daughter and added the obligatory 4x4 approximately the same size as Westminster Cathedral) but I tried the park-and-ride once. Never again. It took the bus about the same amount of time to reach the town centre as it did to drive there from West London (gawd, I forgot how much I HATE buses).

Thanks for the car-park tip Dave - I'll see if I can find it when I go. Your report on the lighting conditions clinched it for me to go (just putting down a marker so I can blame you if I don't like it... ).

Bob.
    I've broad sholders Bob, room for plenty of knives.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Oxford venue and show

I got to see the exhibition on Friday. Lighting fine. Layout of the exhibition is cool too. Having now seen the originals, I now like some of the images rather more than before.

The bigger all time favourites lived up to my expectations easily. Some of the smaller prints are very fine too.

In short - it is free, find the car park to the South (just) near the shopping centre, once you've found it - its very expensive but very convenient.

Great show, will please any Ansel fan and more besides...

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw the exhibition on Sunday. It was a real pleasure to get to see the originals.
    I took the train to Oxford, the centre of modern art is walking distance (10min) from the train station. Overall an easy ride for a nice day out.

Highly recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now I'll utter words that might surprise you, the Oxford prints weren't all the best.

I've seen far better Ansel Adams prints, some of the images had restricted tonal ranges, they were contrasty and totally lacking in mid tones, I should add I've seen far better prints off the same negatives. However that has to be expected, it's known that Adam's printing techniques varied over his career.

At first I was quite disappointed by the print quality (at Oxford) but overall it was OK, however it wasn't the wow these are superb that I'd expect.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Good News!

For those who missed it or want a second look (me) - the exhibition is moving to The New Art Gallery in Walsall (http://www.artatwalsall.org.uk/)
    from the 27th June until the 31st Aug

Opening Times

Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 5pm
    Sunday 11am to 4pm

Closed Mondays, but we are open Bank Holidays (10am to 5pm)

Free admission

Contact Gallery Reception for further details on 01922 654400 or email info@artatwalsall.org.uk

The pictures in the exhibition came from a collect bequeathed to his daughter Anne for displays & exhibitions

I too thought a couple of the prints were too dark.
    There also were a couple of pictures that were printed differently to ones I had seen before.
    It is well known that his printing style changed through his life.
    It made me realise that his struggled with print style & tone - just like the rest of us mere mortals
    However, I am obviously less fussy than Dave Miller - I would gladly have had any of them hanging on my wall at home

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgot to mention that I did go when it was at Oxford. Dave's shoulder blades are safe (for the moment...). I though it well worth the effort and the light-levels give the lie to the Hayward curator's excuses. Interestingly, I went before Ian's comment and thought a few lacked the sparkle I had seen before (Clearing winter Storm and Winter Sunrise, Sierra Nevada I recall in particular). Luckily for me, my faves were as good as I recall: the Merced river ones and Aspens etc (never been a great fan of Moonrise (!stone the heretic!)).

Do go to Walsall if you get the chance.

Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with Bob's comments above. Well worth a visit. I've always thought that Moonrise could be greatly improved by cropping 50% off the top and getting rid of that little grey smudge; but what do I know.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin