Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,984   Online: 861

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ansel Adams Exhibition Oxford 2 Apr -1 Jun

There is an exhibition of more than 70 original AA prints at Modern Art Oxford situated at 30 Pembroke Place, Oxford during the above period. No mention of whether there is an admission charge or not

More details available from googling Modern Art Oxford.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for that, I'm back in the UK at the weekend, for a month, and planning to go to Oxford, so will try and see it.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is this the same exhibition currently displayed in Edinburgh that I was hoping to get to? If so then Oxford is a lot nearer than Edinburgh. Is this a travelling exhibition and if it is does any memeber know the other venues?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    info from website:http://www.modernartoxford.org.uk/Exhibitions/

ANSEL ADAMS
    Photographs

2 APRIL TO 1 JUNE 2008

‘Ansel Adams discovered that the natural world is infinitely varied in aspect, constantly potential, evanescent; that its grand vistas and its microcosms are never twice the same; that the landscape is not only a place but an event’ John Szarkowski

An exhibition of more than seventy photographs, hand-printed and selected by the American photographer and environmentalist Ansel Adams (1902–1984). Spanning a period of fifty years, from the 1920s to the 1970s, this timely exhibition includes Adams’ photographs of the magnificent landscapes for which he is most celebrated, from the soaring monoliths of Yosemite National Park to the lakes and mountains of Alaska.

Ansel Adams: Photographs is organised by Modern Art Oxford. All works are from the collection of Anne Adams Helms. The exhibition tours to the New Art Gallery, Walsall and Kunstmuseum, Bergen.

John Piper and Middle Galleries

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was at the AA exhibit in Edinburgh earlier this week, it is on until 19 April so I shouldn't think its part of this one. It was, as expected, quite awesome, what with me being a huge AA fan.

There was a bredth of work dating back to the 1920's, printed by the man himself, usual suspects such as moonrise and some lovely plant and fence studies. 150 prints in total over 3 floors with prints ranging from 5x4 contacts to 20x24ish. I went up and down the stairs about half a dozen times, entry was a mere £4.

All in all a great day, if you get the chance make the trip, I am sure Oxford will be great too for those too far away to do Edinburgh.

Gari

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garri View Post
    I was at the AA exhibit in Edinburgh earlier this week, it is on until 19 April so I shouldn't think its part of this one. It was, as expected, quite awesome, what with me being a huge AA fan.

There was a bredth of work dating back to the 1920's, printed by the man himself, usual suspects such as moonrise and some lovely plant and fence studies. 150 prints in total over 3 floors with prints ranging from 5x4 contacts to 20x24ish. I went up and down the stairs about half a dozen times, entry was a mere £4.

All in all a great day, if you get the chance make the trip, I am sure Oxford will be great too for those too far away to do Edinburgh.

Gari
    I'm off to see this one in Edinburgh tomorrow........

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well found Pentaxuser
    Admission is free - according to the web site
    Not that it matters - I would hand over large handfuls of £5 notes to see the great mans work
    This is a lot closer for me than Edinburgh
    I wonder why it hasn't been advertised more - is it in the lastest B&W which should be out any day?
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Edinburgh one seems to be a setpiece exhibition that travels around from time to time, since the 2006 reference at http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/6aa/6aa170.htm seems to be the list of the prints on display in Edinburgh.

I was at the Edinburgh one today and it was well worth the time and effort to get there, but with one big issue. While I was expecting lighting levels to be reduced, I hadn't really counted on it being just as dim as it was. This was a problem for me when I came to compare photos in his books (sample copies open for perusal) and prints / posters for sale in the shop since they actually appeared quite different in the stronger light from the originals in the dim lighting. This was particularly noticeable in Canyon de Chelly (lead photo at the linked page above) with regard to the depth of the shadows and the dramatic lighting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Well found Pentaxuser
    Admission is free - according to the web site
    Not that it matters - I would hand over large handfuls of £5 notes to see the great mans work
    This is a lot closer for me than Edinburgh
    I wonder why it hasn't been advertised more - is it in the lastest B&W which should be out any day?
    Martin
    I couldn't see anything on admission prices. Where did it say free? Better you than me handing over large handfuls of £5 notes if they charge and the lighting doesn't allow proper appreciation of the prints as has been noted. Didn't BobF mention this as well? Slightly worrying.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was able to see this exhibition when it was in California. Man, had I known earlier, I would have made a second or even third trip. What a feast for your eyes!

Jason

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin