Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,075   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Photographica 18th May 2008 - UK

Those of you who like the older camera (and the not so old) might be interested in Photographica 2008 which will be taking place Sunday 18th May at the Royal Horticultural Society's Halls in Victoria, central London. You'll find more information here.
    I'll be there, as I'm hoping to get my next fix

Brian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have been seriously considering this, but it depends on if i can replace my wreck of a car and still have enough money left to buy anything!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm planning on going.

Also for those North of London types, there's a small camera fair on at Elm Court, Potters Bar this Sunday (13th April). It usually has some good stuff, small entrance fee of £2. Lots of high end collectables and a few boxes of junk you can sometimes find gems in. I found a Brownie No.2 Model B c. turn of the century in almost mint condition and works lovely. Pretty impressive considering it's only made of cardboard. More info on this site http://www.elmcourt.org.uk/ (and i think it's also on the same website as Photographica, just buried in there )
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the info Brian. I am very keen to go too

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I may come along - have been once before but wished I'd taken more money - lots to buy there

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, work have sent me on a training course that week in london, so i think i'd be rude not to go. Hotel is near heathrow...

Anybody from around the area, I take it i'd be utterly mad to try and drive there. Any suggestions on where would be best to park up and train / tube in?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Well, work have sent me on a training course that week in london, so i think i'd be rude not to go. Hotel is near heathrow...

Anybody from around the area, I take it i'd be utterly mad to try and drive there. Any suggestions on where would be best to park up and train / tube in?
    Park at your hotel, take the hotel shuttle service to Heathrow, get tube from there?
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [EDIT: OK - I just realised this is a one-day event and is on a Sunday, so take the car! Traffic will be fairly light and parking meters should be free...]

Overland trains are much faster at getting into central London: 25-30 minutes from Feltham to Waterloo (make sure you go direct, not via Hounslow = 45 mins) for example. Then get the tube from Waterloo. From Feltham you can get a one-day Travelcard after 09:30 or any time weekends (it's valid on local Southeast trains and the tube) which will save a lot. Might be lucky parking in side-streets but don't count on it: there are a couple of pay car parks (about six quid a day I think).

You might risk the car if going at the weekend (less traffic and no congestion charge) but on Saturdays you will still be faced with high parking charges. Sundays likely to be railworks so I'd say use train if going any day except Sunday and use the car if Sunday...
    Have fun, Bob.
    Last edited by Bob F.; 04-28-2008 at 12:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Its not actually heathrow, its Chertsey, (Which is fairly close to heathrow, but i don't believe theres a shuttle bus. Its also a fairly small hotel)

I've driven in Birmingham before, but thats about it. I don't tend to barge in too much either. Should I definately have no trouble parking? Were also planning to go shoot some film around the city after, not sure if i'm better just sticking to the tube. But i guess i could just leave the car there...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Its not actually heathrow, its Chertsey, (Which is fairly close to heathrow, but i don't believe theres a shuttle bus. Its also a fairly small hotel)

I've driven in Birmingham before, but thats about it. I don't tend to barge in too much either. Should I definately have no trouble parking? Were also planning to go shoot some film around the city after, not sure if i'm better just sticking to the tube. But i guess i could just leave the car there...
    Chertsey is quite a way out so you're well outside the reaches of the Tube but there's a railway station in Chertsey which is an hour to Waterloo. From what I remember of the area around the RHS halls there's quite a bit of on-street parking but you'll find the stuff right by the halls themselves occupied by vendors so you'll probably have to park 5 minutes away and walk it.

David.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin