Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,417   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Does anywhere repair LF cameras in the UK?

I've tried emailing a few places online that claim they fix large format cameras. Two haven't replied in the two weeks since so maybe they're out of business One, who's website said they repair large format cameras, replied with a terse "we can't help you with your camera" after I explained in email that it needs its focal plane shutter fixed/re-tensioned.

Can anyone recommend a place to get my 4x5 press cam's focal plane shutter fixed? It slows to a stop on the slower speeds and is a bit sticky to get back to the Open setting from the T setting. It seems too tightly wound at the higher speeds too, I can't turn the knobs without far too much force to try to get to the higher speeds.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shutter on the Speed Graphic isn't too difficult to clean & adjust yourself, I've done my own on a real old beat up camera, and it's now fine. The repair manual is available online., but I didn't see it until after I'd fixed mine.

What camera is it ? Give Newton & Ellis a call in Liverpool, they may be able to help.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's like a speed graphic but older... Faceplate on it says Folmer & Schwing div. Eastman Kodak so it's before Graflex became Graflex and starting making real Speed Graphics/Crown Graphics etc. It's the same mechanism as on a Speed Graphic as far as I can understand it but I've not found any visual diagrams on how to fix it myself. I'm a little wary of opening it up when there's springs involved.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a place to get my 4x5 press cam's focal plane shutter fixed?
    You could try the Norfolk Camera Centre on 01362 693506. They repair lenses and cameras of all formats, and, in my experience are very good value. I've taken in medium and large format cameras and lenses (some with slow/sticky shutters) with good results.

Steve

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Camarthen camera center 01267 223355.

I have had my compur shutter repaired through them, exelant job and very reasonable.
    A friend had 3 older cannon slrs repaired through them by the same chap, one had a faulty focal plane shutter, again exelant job and very reasonable.

Hope this helpful.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

LF camera repairs

I think that Luton Camera Repairs will do the job for you. You can call them on 01582 458 323. They will sort most things - and I know that they have fixed large format stuff before.

They also have a website - www.lutoncameras.co.uk/HomeFrame.html

Good luck with it.

Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Luton Camera Repair is who I emailed and who replied saying they couldn't help Hence my slight peevedness towards them because that page says they fix large format cameras and they seemingly can't fix mine which I thought was a pretty straight forward kind of repair.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heather, I think the major problem is most UK companies offer a guarantee on repairs, which they'd be reluctant to do with your camera. You really need an old retired camera repair man (or woman), there is a guy in Clay Cross but I'm not sure where to find his details.

You might try the Graflex.org website for help. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Luton Camera Repair is who I emailed and who replied saying they couldn't help Hence my slight peevedness towards them because that page says they fix large format cameras and they seemingly can't fix mine which I thought was a pretty straight forward kind of repair.
    Ah well... they have always sorted everything for me. Apologies for getting it wrong this time then. I won't shout about how good they are next time.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used Black on White in Bristol for MF gear ...

http://www.bonwcameras.co.uk/services.html

and would definitely recommend trying them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin