Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,571   Online: 1062

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Ansel Adams Exhibition at Walsall

The Ansel Adams exhibition that was at Oxford is moving to Walsall in the West Midlands

The New Art Gallery in Walsall (http://www.artatwalsall.org.uk/)
    from the 27th June until the 31st Aug

Opening Times

Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 5pm
    Sunday 11am to 4pm

Closed Mondays, but we are open Bank Holidays (10am to 5pm)

Free admission

Contact Gallery Reception for further details on 01922 654400 or email info@artatwalsall.org.uk

It is well worth a visit if you missed it in Oxford

I am going to take the opertunity to go again to try and take in more of the great mans work

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bump

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Excellent! An excuse to have a day out and away from Hertfordshire, back to my homeland. Born and raised in Wednesbury just down the road! I was lucky enough to see an exhibition of his work a few years back when I was in Boston USA. I took up Large format after that..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Excellent! An excuse to have a day out and away from Hertfordshire, back to my homeland. Born and raised in Wednesbury just down the road!
    Bostin news ay it ar kid !

Ansel Adams exhibition less than 10 miles from Cannock !
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi,

I went and saw this when it was in Oxford and it was amazing, there was just something to his pictures. It was my first real introduction to Ansel Adams and something I want pursue.

Thanks

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have just been to the Walsall AA exhibition and there were some new/different photos in the gallery

I couldn't say for sure but about 20% of the pictures were different from those shown in Oxford

I asked and was told they were sent a large collection and it is then up to the curator to choose which ones to exhibit

So if you went to the Oxford Exhibition and are looking for an excuse to do a return visit - here is the excuse for another go

I also found the Walsall Exhibition to be a little quieter and so could sit in the Galleries central benches and slowly study the pictures from a distance without having my view interupted.

I aslo offered to show a few of the spare pictures left over from the exhibition on my wall at home - and save them the effort of sending them back ... sadly I was politely declined

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, it was the first time I've actually viewed any of Ansel's prints in person, as it were. Knockout.
    Consider this: Most lenses are better than most photographers...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
    For me, it was the first time I've actually viewed any of Ansel's prints in person, as it were. Knockout.
    Many of the prints at Oxford / Walsall were not the best prints Adams made from the negatives, over the years he changed the way he printed quite significantly.

So if you get a chance to see a different exhibition of Adam's work in the future it's worth going, you'd be amazed at the differences in tonality.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, thanks, I'll try to do so. I suppose that variation is to be expected, but even so, I was struck by the way many (almost all) of the AA prints had a quality to my (inexperienced in the B&W printing world) eye that others displayed nearby at Walsall did not.
    Aynsley
    Consider this: Most lenses are better than most photographers...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin