Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,188   Online: 863

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, good question Martin. I've looked back through the thread and it looks like between 11 and 13 people intend to come along. This figure does not include any partners.

I went to the Ilford Factory tour last year so I'll make my merry way down mid Friday afternoon, hopefully getting there before evening rush hour kicks in.

Brian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    How many of us are actualy planning to come - even if only part of the time ?

I am planning to go to the Ilford visit first on the Friday and on to Anglesey leaving Monday

What are evryone elses plans?

Martin
    Hi Martin

I plan to travel up Thursday night for the Ilford visit and then as you, on to Anglesey. I am booked from friday through to Monday, though plan to stay on in the area as I have the week off work. It will be good to catch up with yourself and some of the others, and also to meet some new faces aswell.

Best

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    How many of us are actualy planning to come - even if only part of the time ?

I am planning to go to the Ilford visit first on the Friday and on to Anglesey leaving Monday

What are evryone elses plans?

Martin
    Sile, thefizz and myself are coming over from Ireland. Going to Ilford first and then down to Anglesey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Sile, thefizz and myself are coming over from Ireland. Going to Ilford first and then down to Anglesey.
    Looking forward to meeting you all Fintan.

Best

stoo

Shooter
    35mm
    In case anyone is not sure the Carreg Môn (formerly known as Carreg Bran) is literally yards on the Anglesey side of the Britannia Bridge. There are two bridges, this is the less famous one, which carries both the A55 dual carriageway and the Holyhead rail line.

As you leave the bridge leave the A55 for Llanfairpwll and go left. As you filter onto the A5 the turning for Carreg Bran is immediately on your left, almost before the filter lane ends, down a steep, narrow lane. A postcode search/satnav indicates the opposite side of the A5. Technology, eh....

Aerial view of the straits and the two bridges:
    http://www.beaumarislifeboat.com/swellies.htm
    Hotel is just out of frame at bottom left.

It is a 20 minute walk from Llanfairpwll train station along Holyhead Road (aka Ffordd Caergybi, but everyone knows it is Holyhead Road).

There are two pubs and a chip shop in Llanfairpwll, (sometimes written as Llanfair P.G.) as well as a James Pringle shop with enough tourist tat to satisfy the most hardened shopper. It also has a pleasant cafe and a branch of Julian Graves, and the local TIC is in the front of the same building. There's a petrol station and Volvo dealer on Holyhead Road.

The village is something of a dormitory/commuter town for Bangor, Caernarfon and other larger towns so a bit short on shops etc. Local supermarkets: Co-Operative beside the A5 in Menai Bridge, near the suspension bridge. There's a huge Tesco just off the A55 on the edge of Bangor, Morrisons in central Bangor, Asda in Llangefni.

The church of St Mary's is below the hotel, you can walk down to the straits through the churchyard, though AFAIK you can't walk far along the water's edge. If anyone is interested in snapping the inside of the church I can enquire, the vicar is a friend of mine. The classic view of the suspension bridge is from about 150 yards on the Northern side of the A55 dual carriageway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's very informative Simon, thank you.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just been given a few suggestions of places to visit on Anglesey. Look them up and see what you fancy ...

"Llanddwyn - if you don't mind a walk to the island,
    Penmon - (Priory/Lighthouse/Puffin Island),
    Beaumaris - castle/quaint buildings/pier,
    Menai Bridge - the two bridges and views of the village and straits (also church island)
    Amlwch - Parys Mountain and Amlwch Port
    Aberffraw - beach, old seat of government, Church in the sea
    Plas Newydd - home of the Marquis of Anglesey (national trust)
    Holyhead - harbour, coastal park, breakwater, ferry port, railway station, South Stack lighthouse, lovely coastline all around Holy Island - Trearddur Bay etc
    Newborough forest - walks, (including right to AberMenai which is on one side of narrowest part of Straits)

Mynydd Bodafon is high point on Anglesey and can give 360 degree views of the whole island"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Sandeha, Looks like we will be busy

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon E View Post

The church of St Mary's is below the hotel, you can walk down to the straits through the churchyard, though AFAIK you can't walk far along the water's edge. If anyone is interested in snapping the inside of the church I can enquire, the vicar is a friend of mine. The classic view of the suspension bridge is from about 150 yards on the Northern side of the A55 dual carriageway.
    If you follow a path beyond the church, and down to shoreline and go to the right (its a bit muddy there ) and you will see the Nelson Memorial statue that was erected there in 1873 by Lord Clarence Paget (commander in chief of the Mediterranean fleet), who lived in Plas Llanfair at the time. The Pagets were the Marquis of Anglesey family. Plas Llanfair was where the TS Indefagitible was located in 1944. It is possible to see Plas Newydd (NT property and home of the Marquis of Anglesey) from where the Nelson statue is located.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
    I've just been given a few suggestions of places to visit on Anglesey.
    There are too many great places for a short weekend It also takes a suprising length of time to get across/around the island.

I'd not rate Plas Newydd, IMHO it's just a posh country pile on the Straits. In fact the Straits aren't good for ground-level (or sea-level) pics along much of it. Though feel free to prove me wrong. Around church island (St Tysilio's) and the suspension bridge is more fun.

Llanddwyn is very popular, and with good reason. It's a hike to get to the island (ca. £3 at the automated barrier to allow you to drive to the car park o/w you have to walk from the road) but it's a magical place to be, and the light can be stunning. Church in the sea near Aberffraw can be great too, and further along the coast are some great locations. The area around South and North Stack is fun, but steep and exposed, the height is not for the faint hearted.

Anyone wanting to get more of an idea of what the varied coastal areas have to offer might like to browse PDFs of the council's Coastal Path magazine, Sŵn y Môr. I had hoped to be there for the day on Saturday but that's looking unlikely now. Oh well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin