Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,867   Online: 896

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New 400 T-Max Info.

I bought a roll of the new Kodak 400 T-Max at my local Jessops yesterday. The information on the outside of the film carton proclaims "WORLD`S SHARPEST" and also "New Development Times". However, there is no information inside of the box for development times, so if you try a roll, you will have to download the technical information from Kodak`s website.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...17.14.18&lc=en

Shooter
    35mm
    Keith. Thanks for "Heads Up" on this. So far I've only seen it stocked by Firstcall (expensive there). I use the online ordering system at Jessops occasionally. I'll check to see if it's available there. If it's in your local store it might be an over the counter, stock item held by all branches. Logically it should be.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Keith. Thanks for "Heads Up" on this. So far I've only seen it stocked by Firstcall (expensive there). I use the online ordering system at Jessops occasionally. I'll check to see if it's available there. If it's in your local store it might be an over the counter, stock item held by all branches. Logically it should be.

pentaxuser
    P.U

Have you not tried 7dayshop.com. Its only £2.20 a roll for both 120 and 35mm.

Best

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
    P.U

Have you not tried 7dayshop.com. Its only £2.20 a roll for both 120 and 35mm.

Best

Stoo
    Is it definitely the new TMY-2 film or existing stock of the older 400TMY film? The price is much cheaper than Jessops. The colour of the film leader on the new version is black instead of grey as on the older film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes That kind of price difference is a bit suspicious given it's a new product and even allowing for 7dayshop's competitiveness( only sometimes - witness its charge for HIE when it was discontinued!).

Just to add to the confusion Jessops is carrying Tmax 400 online but I can't work out if it's new stock. It make no mention of its being new which is a little strange.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could be barking up a gum tree.

In reality you won't notice the difference between your prints shot on the old Tmax400 and the new, because it's not that huge an improvement, I've used both new & old recently. Films are always evolving, the differences between the original FP4 & HP5 and the current FP4+ & HP5+ are far more significant.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In reality you won't notice the difference between your prints shot on the old Tmax400 and the new, because it's not that huge an improvement, I've used both new & old recently. Films are always evolving, the differences between the original FP4 & HP5 and the current FP4+ & HP5+ are far more significant.

Ian
    Ian, you`re probably right. However, I was pointing out that there were no instructions for processing the `newer` version inside the film box (135-36), hence the link to the technical information in my first post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Is it definitely the new TMY-2 film or existing stock of the older 400TMY film? The price is much cheaper than Jessops. The colour of the film leader on the new version is black instead of grey as on the older film.
    Yes Keith, definately the new stock. I emailed both 7day and Mailshots.uk, who incidentally are selling the film for £2.59. Mailshots didn't return my email so I ordered 10 rolls of 35mm from 7day's. If you look at both their sites you will see the new box which has green writing on the side.

As far as film pricing goes, I don't see that the price it is being sold at as cheap, only that FirstCall are way over the top with there pricing. But then, someone has got to pay for all that Ilford 10 x 8 RC that they knock out at discount prices, hav'nt they!!!

Just for info, I developed mine in Thorntons two bath with his standard 'B' bath for 4 mins in each bath at 24 degrees. Personally I would take that down to 3.5 mins or adjust the 'B' bath, as I found the film just that little too contrasty for my liking. As for sharpness. Yes, very, though I have nothing to compare to as I have been anti- Kodak from day one.

Best

Stoo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin