Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 863

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Contact printing frames

I want to buy a split-back 10 x 8 printing frame.

Does anyone know of a UK supplier. I realise that they are available from the USA, but the postage is very high. I’m currently using a Paterson contact printing frame but would like the versatility of the split back, any ideas?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Paula at Linhof and Studio stocks the Lotus frames, Dave. They're not cheap but they're supposed to be very good.

Afterthought: most of the ones I've seen in the UK are badly made and quickly fall apart. I use a couple made by Dan Pelland and imported. They are very good. He's stopped making them but I think he's posted the plans on his website. If you know a good woodworker then you can probably have one made.
    Last edited by Ian Leake; 07-23-2008 at 01:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added afterthought

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I want to buy a split-back 10 x 8 printing frame.
    Dave,

I have a Lotus 11x14 contact printing frame which is beautifully made and will last a lifetime. However I bought it a long time ago. They are now very expensive. The 10x8 is £259 + vat!

Unfortunately not all contact printing frames are equal. You really need a good and even pressure. You may have to import one from the US, but I don't know who makes the best one's over there.

ps If you want to try a Lotus, let me know, you can borrow mine.

Barry

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bostick and Sullivan (USA) sell a very well-made contact printing frame (split back), and they are a sponsor here. They are slightly over-size (the 11x14 is actually 12x15...inches), and made of maple. Reasonably priced, also, so import duty, etc won't make them too expensive.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the advice.
    I have looked the Lotus frames, and as you both say they aren’t cheap, that’s not to say that they are over priced. Considering the limited market and the work required to produce them I accept the prices quoted as reasonable. I’ve also checked out those advertised by B & S and others in the USA, the problem, Vaugn is the shipping costs quoted from the USA almost doubles the price of the product, that coupled with the possibility of being caught for another 25% in duties here rather puts me off using American dealers. Having said that I have just ordered a renovated 10x8 frame via eBay from America.
    Barry that’s an extremely generous offer that I may take you up on later. For the moment I just want to try our a few processes, if I find them as absorbing as I think I might, then I will invest in better equipment as it is required.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave, I would also 'tick the box' for the Lotus having recently bought their 10"x12". Expensive but beautifully made.

Good luck with your Ebay purchase.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for that Trevor, maybe one will find it's way onto my Christmas list.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin