Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,934   Online: 936

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Always put your stuff in the Boot (Trunk) of the car - hopefuly you will never have to find out how true this is

Sorry for being so quite so cheerful

Martin
    A boot of a VW Bug can only hold so much. And there is the question of would make a difference in a Bug at 60 MPH as there may not be enough room inside left for things to fly around in. The only crash I had in it (girlfriend of the time was driving) was a roll down a hill at 25 -30 MPH. Ended up with a lot of rice all over the place. After getting it towed back up the hill, I pounded the roof back up with my hand, pulled the fenders back out away from the tires and continued on our way.

Now, of course, it would be hard to fit my family of 5 in a Bug...but our Minivan has no boot. I take out one of the middle seats and use the seat's tie-downs to strap in then ice chest. Lots of stuff (including camp stove and fuel) go up in the carrier on the roof, but there is still lots of potential missles inside.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Minivans, SUVs and Estate cars are disadvantaged - you are in the same space as the luggage

Its always a problem with kids - they always need plenty of toys & stuff to keep them entertained.

Fortunately, most toys are not hard, sharp or heavy

Retaining straps for large items and luggage nets for small stuff are worth considering for most of the stuff in the boot/trunk area.

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have seen the aftermath of a fairly moderate speed crash on a TV documentary showing tests recently carried out by the Road Research Laboratory, and was horrified to see that a metal tool box full of metal tools in the boot (trunk) of the test vehicle had gone through the rear bulkhead, and back seat, opened , and causing spanners and wrenches to be thrown all around the car, causing what would be horrific injury's to the occupants , who were fortunately test dummies, it certainly made me think
    Father in Law knows all about that. He crashed his Ford Zephyr into something in the early 60's. Had a heavy toolbox in the boot which decided to keep going......
    Through the back seat, and was stopped by him sitting in the drivers seat. He still has problems now
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have seen the aftermath of a fairly moderate speed crash on a TV documentary showing tests recently carried out by the Road Research Laboratory, and was horrified to see that a metal tool box full of metal tools in the boot (trunk) of the test vehicle had gone through the rear bulkhead, and back seat, opened , and causing spanners and wrenches to be thrown all around the car, causing what would be horrific injury's to the occupants , who were fortunately test dummies, it certainly made me think
    I was taught that it is good practice to plug in the unoccupied rear seatbelts in such a way that they stretch across the back seat and lock in the event of a crash, reducing the chances of objects bursting through the back seats during a high-speed collision.

In reality both of my back seats are down and my car is full of loose junk. I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by monophobia; 04-22-2011 at 10:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    Back in the '80s my father did call-out work for the police towing away cars at scenes of accidents (he was a mechanic). He used to come home with the most grisly stories often involving moving objects in cars like here or stationary objects outside of cars like trees. I suppose he had to tell somebody what he saw and his only audience was me and my sister aged 10 & 8 - at that age you don't forget horror stories.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a friend who managed to roll his car about 3 times in an accident. He'd have got away quite lightly if it hadn't been for his hard briefcase sitting behind the front seat. People have made fun of me when I refer to a carrier bag as my "executive briefcase", but it's never going to cause me serious head injury!

Shooter
    35mm
    Well now we've sorted out the drink/driving laws and projectile injuries, did the OP make the journey, get made redundant, set off into the sunset and indeed is he still here?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Just realised that the post I made above was to a 3 year old thread! Weird how these old things come back to life.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Just realised that the post I made above was to a 3 year old thread! .
    It is easy done Steve and I fear that we have lost the OP and will never know the answers to my questions. Threads can take on a life of their own which bears little resemblance to the post that started it all.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here in the UK there is no law to stop you sleeping in a motor vehicle, so I do not know where that came from. Lay-bys are there for having a rest/sleep, that is why you see the lorries parked up overnight. No stopping on motorways for a kip, though; and don't use the parks at service areas, for if you sleep longer then the permitted staying time, then they try to fine you with a supposed 'parking fine ticket.'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin